K9 Question

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
When you go into the settings on K9 under Syncing what is Poll check? I am assuming Push means send instant But it has Folder poll check frequency and Folders to check with poll. What is that and what does it mean?

Also, what is 1st class and 2nd class folders? First I have heard of this? Under folder settings what does Folder Display Class need to be set on? Mine is set to none

Another thing, why is it when I exit out of K9 I get a syncing symbol beside my 3G icon in the notification bar?

Sorry I am new to K9 and these things I don't understand. Thanks in advance

JayMonster

Reaction score
Besides the Inbox, you can arrange to have other folders synchronized with your Droid. These folders are not "pushed" to your phone, but are synchronized at an interval that you set.

If you want to set certain folder to Display, or only certain folder to display, etc... you can set "Classes" on the folder so that you can specificy (or change) what folders are available. I personally don't find this feature all that useful, but if you want to delve into it more, then you can check out this piece that explains it (better than I did). WorkingWithClasses - k9mail - How to use K-9's folder class system - Project Hosting on Google Code

When you exit the app, the last thing it does, is check to see if there is any information that is to be synchronized or downloaded before it shuts down.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Thanks again Jaymonster, I still cant understand what it means by poll? I will read over that link you sent as soon as I have time. Thanks again or all your help.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Poll is effectively the opposite of push. In polling the client checks for new email/content at fixed intervals. With push the server pushes new content to the client as needed.

OP
jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr

Reaction score
Thanks. that is what I was thought it was but wanted to make sure. If I want my mail to come instantly I know I need my inbox set to push, i also need my sent set to push. whay do I need my drafts and saved folders set to push? That is what they are now. Can I change this to poll for those 2 folders? Thanks in advance