K-9 email polling off

amcas522

Reaction score
Based on the forums, I decided to install K-9 yesterday and love it. I noticed today that I wasn't getting emails. When I go into the application the bar at the top says "polling off'. It's that way for all of the accounts. I went into each account's setting and polling is turned on to the amount of time I set for each account. Is this a known glitch? Anyone know what's going on?

Thank you in advance!!

PARick

Reaction score
I know this is a dumb question, but is your internet running?

OP
A

amcas522

Reaction score
But it was polling fine after the install. How can one turn it back on when I've checked all polling settings and they are on. Right now I have to check manually.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
I dont know but whenever I get a new email it counts all my old ones as new, on aol, so i have like 400 and some new emails everytime I get 1 new one..and no matter what I change it doesnt fix it.

OP
A

amcas522

Reaction score
I dont know but whenever I get a new email it counts all my old ones as new, on aol, so i have like 400 and some new emails everytime I get 1 new one..and no matter what I change it doesnt fix it.

I've come to the conclusion that it's reading the unread messages on the server itself. At least that belief lets me move on and not think about the why of it all. :)

OP
A

amcas522

Reaction score
okay it was totally my fault. I was using the power control widget and had sync turned off to save battery life ('nother topic, 'nother time). Didn't realize it would affect that application.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
okay it was totally my fault. I was using the power control widget and had sync turned off to save battery life ('nother topic, 'nother time). Didn't realize it would affect that application.

Now I know why my fixes wouldn't work. It wasn't broken!!

Thanks for "fessin" up and letting us know. Many people would have just left us without an answer rather than admit a tiny little mistake. :)

OP
A

amcas522

Reaction score

Now I know why my fixes wouldn't work. It wasn't broken!!

Thanks for "fessin" up and letting us know. Many people would have just left us without an answer rather than admit a tiny little mistake. :)

Well, I felt it might answer another person's problem. Something simple but not considered...

jamiecta

Reaction score
Hi, just following up to some previous conversation on K-9 here as a new Android user (Droid X).

Is there no way for K-9 to go out and fetch/download email on a timed schedule without leaving background data and sync on? For example, my beautiful widgets is set to refresh on wake and it does that without the background data being continuously on. I would like to keep my background data and sync off and just have my phone look for new emails to my gmail account every 30 mins or so. Thanks.

TechNut

Reaction score
Dumb question I should probably know this but I just installed K9 and love it. Is the POLLING the frequency at which email is popped or checked on the server?

If not do you know where that setting is?
Thanks

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Dumb question I should probably know this but I just installed K9 and love it. Is the POLLING the frequency at which email is popped or checked on the server?

If not do you know where that setting is?
Thanks

Polling is the frequency that K-9 will go and check your server for new mail.

frisket

Reaction score
Not the power control widget

I had exactly the same problem suddenly occur a week ago, just after getting back from a trip to the States. I couldn't work out why K9 suddenly thought polling should be off. I tested going into Airplane mode (again), but coming out of it didn't turn polling on again.

Then I saw this post, and added the power control widget (which I had used a long time ago but removed). But that showed polling was already ON.

However, as the latest update from the Market has fixed the problem, I never found out what was causing it. Do the K9 folks read this? Is it likely to reoccur at random some time?