Just got Droid X todsy and already having big problems!

Olivia

Reaction score
First of all I used to have the original Droid but hated it so when new iphone came out I switched. Well I got tired of going over data plan so today I switched back to Verizon and had a tough decision between droid x or droid incredible.

Well I decided on the X so I install beautiful widgets with live wallpaper ands few apps. I restarted my phone because after using it a while the web browser was acting up. Well after restart I now cannot get one of my folder shortcuts to open, when I slide to unlock like my droid before its lagging ( so that probably means when someone calls I'll have to swipe it a few times and miss calls again), and some other issues that I cannot recall right now.

This was the whole reason I left android phones. Yes I do have ATK installed. I don't want these same problems all over again. I thought by now all the bugs would have worked out.

Oh I now remember the main problem I'm having now. My buttons at the bottom of phone are dark. They lit up earlier but after restart will not light up now. I've restarted twice and still no luck. Please help!

the5barrons

Reaction score
Removing the live wallpaper isn't a must. Its really easy to make a ton of changes and not know what might be causing what. Specially if its something bad. Always start with a fresh charge and try to simplify things. I would lower all my setting and notifications to not auto pull anything. Same with widget and stuff....keep it to a minimum till you find something wrong. If nothing can be found, if try a factory reset.
Swyped via DXFrorumApp

barski

Reaction score
Since your not that far along on your Droid X i recommend doing a factory reset. Don't worry you wont have to re-buy beautiful widgets, just find the app again in the market and install. I would go without the Task Killer also.

If you bought it from a local Verizon store they would most likely be more than happy to help you.

Last edited:

accellpo

Reaction score
Hit the lock button twice and your bottom buttons should light up again. There's no need for the task killer. It could be the root of your problems. Live wallpapers shouldn't be a problem either. Switch browser flash to on demand.

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
First of all I used to have the original Droid but hated it so when new iphone came out I switched. Well I got tired of going over data plan so today I switched back to Verizon and had a tough decision between droid x or droid incredible.

Well I decided on the X so I install beautiful widgets with live wallpaper ands few apps. I restarted my phone because after using it a while the web browser was acting up. Well after restart I now cannot get one of my folder shortcuts to open, when I slide to unlock like my droid before its lagging ( so that probably means when someone calls I'll have to swipe it a few times and miss calls again), and some other issues that I cannot recall right now.

This was the whole reason I left android phones. Yes I do have ATK installed. I don't want these same problems all over again. I thought by now all the bugs would have worked out.

Oh I now remember the main problem I'm having now. My buttons at the bottom of phone are dark. They lit up earlier but after restart will not light up now. I've restarted twice and still no luck. Please help!

Actually if your not far along with your new Droid X I recommend calling the warranty center for a new one.

This isn't my only and #1 solution. First I would do the recommended in the first response to you thread, get rid of Advanced Task Killer, not needed on the DX.

As far as laggy slide lock...? It will lag, I've noticed, if your holding it flat in your hand and level to the ground. I know I sound like Steve Jobs by telling you to hold your phone a certain way but it's just what I've noticed from experience.

Live wallpapers can cause a little lag but it isn't a major problem. If it is a paid LWP(live wall paper) I suggest playing with the settings and adjusting your FPS(frames per second) to a lower setting.

Hope this helps a little, good luckdancedroid

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's my little list of things to do:

1. As everyone else has said, get rid of the task killer. I would not be surprised if it is causing most of your problems.
2. If you have an anti-virus program, uninstall it. They do cause the kind of problems you're experiencing.
3. Until you find the root of your problems, kill the Live Wall Papers. After things are running smooth you can redo them and see how it goes.
4. Uninstall the apps you installed. Presumably at this point the phone will be running smooth and quick. Now start the reinstall the apps you had, but do it one at a time and run the phone through it's paces after each install to see if that app is causing any issues.
5. Do not install apps on the sdcard until they have been tested as indicated above.
6. Do not install any apps on the sdcard that are tied to any widget that you have on your screens.

Well that's all I can think of now. Good luck and keep us posted.

Good luck.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Follow bayou's advice and get back to us...

definitely rid yourself of the task killer, it's causing more harm than good.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Follow bayou's advice and get back to us...

definitely rid yourself of the task killer, it's causing more harm than good.

Agreed, and No Task Killer. I was having problems with my evo then when I got rid of the task killer they cleared right up.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

Reaction score
I just got an X as well and have task killer on it. I'm just curious about why it's not good to have it installed? Is there a better way to stop the apps from running and run the battery down?

barski

Reaction score
There is a thread somewhere around here that explains why task killers are not the way to go. I rooted my droid x and installed minfreemanager, works great and keeps the phone fast and smooth.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I just got an X as well and have task killer on it. I'm just curious about why it's not good to have it installed? Is there a better way to stop the apps from running and run the battery down?

The Android system is very capable of handling tasks and running apps. A task killer will run in the back ground using battery and it also prevents Android from doing what it was ment to do. It's like using Windows task manager and just killing all running processes and then expecting Windows to.run perfectly fine.

Trying out Sprint for a month. Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk. 4G is pointless when you don't live in one of the few available network areas.

Reaction score
So is there an easy way to stop an app from running when I'm finished with it without going into application management and force stopping it? For example the music player doesn't ever stop running even after I quit playing music.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So is there an easy way to stop an app from running when I'm finished with it without going into application management and force stopping it? For example the music player doesn't ever stop running even after I quit playing music.

Task Killers Per Lifehacker:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
How Android Manages Processes

In Android, processes and Applications are two different things. An app can stay "running" in the background without any processes eating up your phone's resources. Android keeps the app in its memory so it launches more quickly and returns to its prior state. When your phone runs out of memory, Android will automatically start killing tasks on its own, starting with ones that you haven't used in awhile.
The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck.

Why Task Killers Are (Usually) Bad News

Apps like Advanced Task Killer, the most popular task killer in the Market, act on the incorrect assumption that freeing up memory on an Android device is a good thing. When launched, it presents you with a list of "running" apps and the option to kill as many as you want. You can also hit the Menu button to access a more detailed "Services" view, that lists exactly which parts of each application are "running", how much memory they take up, and how much free memory is available on your phone. This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you'll free by killing it. As we've learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.
Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the "autokill" feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.
In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.
What You Should Do Instead

That said, not all apps are created equal. Many of you have used task killers in the past and actually found that after freeing up memory, your phone works a bit better. It's more likely that this is because you've killed a bad app—one that was poorly coded, and (for example) keeps trying to connect to the internet even when it shouldn't. Any performance increase you experience is more likely because you killed the right app, not because you freed up loads of memory (or, in many cases, it's just placebo). Instead of killing all those apps, find out which ones are actually causing the problems. If you really know what you're doing, you may benefit from using a task killer to stop the one or two inefficient-but-loved apps on your phone.
Note, however, that this is still a contested notion. A lot of developers (including ROM builder extraordinaire, Cyanogen) will not even look at your bug reports if you're using a task killer. In this humble blogger's opinion, your best bet is to stay away from regular task killer usage entirely. If you absolutely have to have that one battery-killing app on your phone, though, kill away—just be aware that when you experience a recurring Android bug later on, the task killer may be at fault. Of course, you can just stop using it to determine whether that is or isn't the case.