Just bought a Droid, I have a few questions (Particularly about the OS and updating)

JoeJxn

Reaction score
Hi guys :3

I just bought a Droid tonight off craigslist and the guy said that he had Nexus One installed on it.

It has the Nexus one boot up screen but idk how to tell if everything else is Nexus one

The Lock Screen is different than what is in the Droid "Getting Started" pamphlet, and there are 5 home screens, rather than just 3 (I heard Droid only had 3)

So is this just an updated Droid look or is this Nexus One?

Also, I'm trying to update to Android 2.1 and it says "Restart required" but it doesn't give me an option to restart, so I pull the battery and still nothing happens and I still have the same message when I go back to the system update page.

I used to be a Blackberry and iPhone guy, so I know nothing of Android and how it works.

Any help is greatly appreciated :]

OP
JoeJxn

JoeJxn

Reaction score
Oh and any app suggestions would be awesome too :]

krazyskott

Reaction score
A good start to see where were at is post some things. Press the menu button then select settings, then choose about phone. Scroll all the way down and post what it says under build #, kernel and firmware. And one last thing go into apps drawer and see of you have super user app that looks like a little ninja.
You got a really sweet phone and you came to the right place. This site is awesome for noobies and offers great friendly knowledge.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Sounds like your Droid has a custom rom flashed. It is not Nexus 1. they are completely different phones. It is likely the 2.1 operating system. Checking in "about" will confirm. If so, going with the 2.1 OTA update is actually a step back. Go into Astro, look through your SD card, and delete (long press, edit, delete) the file "update". It will quit bugging you to update.

As far as recommended apps, figure out what you want it to do. You'll get better personalized recommendations. Have you gone through setup for your own gmail, or is it still on the previous owners? Definitely don't wanna waste money on paid apps until it's on your gmail acct. Don't want previous owner getting email confirmations with your credit card info either.

Some recommended apps once you know where you're at (rom version, gmail acct, etc) would be Rom Manager paid version. This gives you access to reputable roms, themes, fonts, and kernels in a noob-friendly UI.
Next recommendation would be Swype for Droid. Takes a few days to get used to, but you will dig it once you're used to it. When you click install, it will take you to a setting to enable installs from outside Market. Enable that, then click install again.
For music, search market for "fabrantes" and download the only app that shows up, which is called 3. There is also Astro Music Player Beta, which has a functioning equalizer, but that ones a little buggy still.

Do some reading on flashing roms. you will be in much better shape when you understand what you are doing.

OP
JoeJxn

JoeJxn

Reaction score
A good start to see where were at is post some things. Press the menu button then select settings, then choose about phone. Scroll all the way down and post what it says under build #, kernel and firmware. And one last thing go into apps drawer and see of you have super user app that looks like a little ninja.
You got a really sweet phone and you came to the right place. This site is awesome for noobies and offers great friendly knowledge.

Yea I have that ninja lookin app. It doesn't do anything when I open it though.

My firmware is 2.0.1 and under model number/kernel ect... it says AdamZ Enhanced.

Oh and ps: this is really laggy when typing on the internet.

Taegost

Reaction score
Re: Just bought a Droid, I have a few questions

Yeah, you have a custom rom, he rooted it. I would do some research in the droid hacking section of the forum, specifically Adamz forum.
I agree about Swype, it's awesome. You can also look through the applications section of the site for more recommendations.
You'll also want to find out specifically which phone you have :)
Welcome to your new obsession!

My Droid Does Tapatalk...

krazyskott

Reaction score
I would try and setup a new account with gmail. I think you can power down your phone then hold down x and power button to get into sprecovery. Then wipe data 2 times and wipe cache 2times. Then reboot and you should be prompted to sign in. Choose new account and create one. This should seperate yourself from previous owner receiving your info. Now get free version of ROM manager from the market. Next get paid version. Then you can choose a rom from there and I would suggest getting bugless beast. Rom maneged should do the rest.

OP
JoeJxn

JoeJxn

Reaction score
Sounds like your Droid has a custom rom flashed. It is not Nexus 1. they are completely different phones. It is likely the 2.1 operating system. Checking in "about" will confirm. If so, going with the 2.1 OTA update is actually a step back. Go into Astro, look through your SD card, and delete (long press, edit, delete) the file "update". It will quit bugging you to update.

As far as recommended apps, figure out what you want it to do. You'll get better personalized recommendations. Have you gone through setup for your own gmail, or is it still on the previous owners? Definitely don't wanna waste money on paid apps until it's on your gmail acct. Don't want previous owner getting email confirmations with your credit card info either.

Some recommended apps once you know where you're at (rom version, gmail acct, etc) would be Rom Manager paid version. This gives you access to reputable roms, themes, fonts, and kernels in a noob-friendly UI.
Next recommendation would be Swype for Droid. Takes a few days to get used to, but you will dig it once you're used to it. When you click install, it will take you to a setting to enable installs from outside Market. Enable that, then click install again.
For music, search market for "fabrantes" and download the only app that shows up, which is called 3. There is also Astro Music Player Beta, which has a functioning equalizer, but that ones a little buggy still.

Do some reading on flashing roms. you will be in much better shape when you understand what you are doing.

K um, I can't get Swype to work. I have it installed and I chose it as my input method but nothing comes up on the screen, even when I hit the "Type to compose"

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
K um, I can't get Swype to work. I have it installed and I chose it as my input method but nothing comes up on the screen, even when I hit the "Type to compose"

>>settings >>language & keyboards >> enable Swype

Select a text field (twitter, google search, browser) and long press. Switch default input to Swype.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

Yea I have that ninja lookin app. It doesn't do anything when I open it though.

My firmware is 2.0.1 and under model number/kernel ect... it says AdamZ Enhanced.

Oh and ps: this is really laggy when typing on the internet.

That will be fixed once you get that 2.0.1 junk off of there. Its probably using the Milestone browser which has notorious issues with typing on the net.