Junk Battery Life

bamfsig45

Reaction score
So my wifes Ally has the cruddiest battery life of anything Ive seen (didnt research prior to buying it). Ive turned off all things that could be turned off and still have functionality.

Take it in the corp store where we bought it and explained the situation.

Then I explain to them that under the battery use/cell stand by it shows 50+% of time w/o signal. I know my wife has full bars all the time, we get great reception where we live. They checked the demo phone and it doesnt show this. So Im thinking a software issue/manufacturing issue. We've done the *228/hard reset/battery pulls etc.....

Also when I check the Verizon app on my X and I pull up data usage. It shows her Ally using twice as much as my X and she is no way using it to its fullest, so LG's crapware has to be causing this issue. Turned off the Socialite sync/update refresh time, everything. And after two days her battery life still stinks. Her usage is very moderate, probably 10-20 text messages, some emails (she uses hotmail and has it set to check every 15 mins), and a few(couple, 2-3) short phone calls, checks facebook occasionally.

Their first thought was "do you have a task killer" (are they all trained to think this way?) Maybe the Ally does need one with LG's crap on it who knows. And also "we can swap batteries and try that?" I said no thank you.

I told them I want to exchange it for something else but they want to of course charge me that restocking fee plus the price difference on another phone. IMO I think its a defect on the phone and they should eat the fee. But whatever!!

So my wife and I decide that she will just use my Droid1 and we will return the Ally, take the 35.00 hit and chaulk it up as a learning experience. (My rooted D1 blows the Ally away anyway, so she is happy)

Sorry this was mainly a rant more than anything. I should have researched first because it appears the Ally has bad battery life period.

I did called CS after I left the corp store and the rep said the manager should be able to waive the restocking fee....we'll see.

AllySteve

Reaction score
Not to defend the Ally, but I found cycling the battery a few times helped considerably (run battery completely dead then recharge). That and turning off background data under settings/accounts & sync.

Coming from using an LG EnV2, I miss the longer battery life.

-Steve

OP
bamfsig45

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Shouldn't have to do that with a new phone....I dont have to turn off background data on either my Droid or Droid X, or cycle the battery.

Anyway, I did return the phone last night and was told about the 35.00 restocking fee. I asked to speak with a manager and he told me that he could not do that in the store. I knew right there he was full of dung. He told me that they could offer me a replacement phone. I said no, this phone is defective along with the rest of the Ally's so I dont want another one. I bite my tounge and took my refund minus the 35.00. Immediately called CS and spoke with a gentleman that read to me from his policy book on returns. Because the phone was determined DOA (the store put those notes on my account) that the 35.00 fee should have been waived immediately. AND that it is supposed to be done in the store, not through CS on the phone. Needless to say my account was credited 35.00. And it wasnt the money, 35.00 wont break the bank. Just merely principle.