Jit

dane75

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got the original moto droid, rooted, running Bugless Beast V0.4, clocked at 800 mHz. Everything seems to be running pretty smoothly, but I did notice that my friend's Dinc crushes mine with respect to browser webpage loads. I'm not even sure the JIT is involved in that, but it made me wonder whether mine has the JIT enabled. Do I need to do something to make that happen or did it occur automatically when I flashed BB onto it? Is there any other reason his web browser is crushing mine so badly (or does the Sense UI do something to make it faster)? Any help would be great. Thanks!

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Sense UI? Does that mean your friend has the Incredible? If so I believe it is clocked faster than 800 mHz. Time for you to kick it up a notch and go up to 1000 mHz.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dinc means droid incredable. And yes, id say you should just kick your cpu up a notch, lol, see what happens at 1.2ghz...

OP
D

dane75

Reaction score
Thanks! I think going above 800 will mean I need a new kernel. I used a standard voltage P3 kernel that maxed out at 800. I'm not sure how to rewrite that unless it is to download BB0.4 again, but I'll look into it. I was thinking about going to a low voltage kernel anyway, since a lot of people seem to use them on the droid with no problems. Just to make sure I understand, though, does that mean that my 2.2 rooted droid does have the JIT enabled automatically? Thanks again for the help.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think going above 800 will mean I need a new kernel. I used a standard voltage P3 kernel that maxed out at 800. I'm not sure how to rewrite that unless it is to download BB0.4 again, but I'll look into it. I was thinking about going to a low voltage kernel anyway, since a lot of people seem to use them on the droid with no problems. Just to make sure I understand, though, does that mean that my 2.2 rooted droid does have the JIT enabled automatically? Thanks again for the help.

You have jit with bb.4. :) And you wont have to install bb again. All u have to do is get a kernal and install the zip. (i use rom manager and hit apply zip) if you want i can link some good kernals?

OP
D

dane75

Reaction score
Absolutely... if it wouldn't be too much trouble that would be a huge help. I've seen low v. standard v. ultra low. Do you have any recommendations? I've only used the stock kernel (whichever one that is) and the one I'm currently using. It gets me through the whole day, usually, unless I use nav... the nav seems to really tax the battery.

I appreciate the help. I'm pretty much a tech illiterate. When I rooted, I was absurdly nervous I was going to kill my droid. In retrospect, it went without a hitch, but, man, I stressed over whether to do it or not. Even now changing kernels and roms makes me a little queasy. So far, I like BB, but I've heard really good things about Ultimate Droid and Simply Stunning, too. I never know if they are actually better or if it's simply a grass is greener mentality (laughs).

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Absolutely... if it wouldn't be too much trouble that would be a huge help. I've seen low v. standard v. ultra low. Do you have any recommendations? I've only used the stock kernel (whichever one that is) and the one I'm currently using. It gets me through the whole day, usually, unless I use nav... the nav seems to really tax the battery.

I appreciate the help. I'm pretty much a tech illiterate. When I rooted, I was absurdly nervous I was going to kill my droid. In retrospect, it went without a hitch, but, man, I stressed over whether to do it or not. Even now changing kernels and roms makes me a little queasy. So far, I like BB, but I've heard really good things about Ultimate Droid and Simply Stunning, too. I never know if they are actually better or if it's simply a grass is greener mentality (laughs).
P3Droid Kernels
P3's kernals are what i use. Personally when other devs offer the ULTA low vultage kernals (like chevy's) i found them to be glitchy. I use standard 800 p3. if your going to run at 1.2 then i would try both standard and low voltage out (just so you can see the difference. Try standard for a day and see where the battery is at the end of the day, then the next day try out the low voltage and see if their is a difference. I personally found that standard doesnt use that much more battery (i was %30 with low voltage and %30 with standard) and it seemed to be the least glitchy. But to be honest the low voltage wasnt really glitchy either. go here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html its an excelent guide. (he speaks for the noobs, its a good read, and is very understandable)

OP
D

dane75

Reaction score
Man, he put a lot of work into explaining overclocking, but it was a good read. Quite a bit to digest. I'll probably have to re-read it to get all of the nuances. I'm going to go with your suggestions on kernels and see what my results are like, although it sounds like we're running similar kernels.

One other thing I noticed after reading the link (and this was just me being a moron) happened after he referenced SetCPU a few times. I opened it up, and it asked that superuser permission thing. I allowed it, but it made me think that, perhaps, I never re-enabled the permission after I changed over to BB. I then reloaded that same webpage that my friend's Dinc crushed my droid on and it loaded noticeably faster. So, perhaps the moral of the whole thing was that I was being a freakin' idiot (laughs). Thanks again for the links, info, and help. I'll play around with the kernels since that doesn't seem to be as big of a deal. And when I get braver, I might buy ROM Manager Premium and play around with other ROM's, too.

brando56894

Reaction score
It was most likely that his is steadily clocked at 1 GHz while your droid will scale from 550 (or lower) to 800 MHz, install a 1.25 GHz kernel and set the governor to performance and watch him cry! Ive been doing that for awhile with my friend who has one lol