It's official: Google Wallet and Softcard are partnering

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
It's been rumored for weeks that Google might buy Softcard. Today, it announced that the deal is done:

Google said on Monday that it's partnering with Softcard, a joint venture between Verizon Wireless, AT&T and T-Mobile to expand the reach of its Google Wallet mobile payment service. As part of the deal, Google acquired Softcard's technology, while the US carriers would load the Google Wallet app onto Android smartphones running KitKat or higher in their stores later this year.

Maybe now Google Wallet will actually work on Verizon phones without hacking. :rolleyes:

Google Wallet Softcard partner to take on Apple Pay - CNET

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It's been rumored for weeks that Google might buy Softcard. Today, it announced that the deal is done:

Google said on Monday that it's partnering with Softcard, a joint venture between Verizon Wireless, AT&T and T-Mobile to expand the reach of its Google Wallet mobile payment service. As part of the deal, Google acquired Softcard's technology, while the US carriers would load the Google Wallet app onto Android smartphones running KitKat or higher in their stores later this year.

Maybe now Google Wallet will actually work on Verizon phones without hacking. :rolleyes:

Google Wallet Softcard partner to take on Apple Pay - CNET

Google Wallet has been working on many Verizon devices for quite a while now without hacking. Verizon previously wouldn't allow it because it wasn't secure enough for them (they required the use of a physical secure element). KitKat brought Host Card Emulation (HCE) that provided the changes Verizon required without needing a physical secure element.

Google Wallet should work on Verizon devices running KitKat and above. I've been using it successfully for a year or so.

OP
Amazonfemme

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
No kidding? I haven't been able to use it on my Verizon G3 running KitKat. Must investigate further!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk 2

OP
Amazonfemme

Amazonfemme

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
VS985
So I tried using Wallet at CVS on Friday. It looked like it was working, but the transaction didn't go through. Same as the last few times I tried it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk 2