It's about time!

cbechtel

Reaction score
Hi All,

I finally purchased a Droid this past Saturday. I must say I LOVE IT. I am still trying to figure things out like how to take advantage of my HOME screen and which apps I really need as well as figuring out if I need antivirus software or how to backup my entire phone. I joined this forum in hopes that I can find those answers and share what I have found along the way. Here's to fun times mastering our :motdroidhoriz:'s.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I finally purchased a Droid this past Saturday. I must say I LOVE IT. I am still trying to figure things out like how to take advantage of my HOME screen and which apps I really need as well as figuring out if I need antivirus software or how to backup my entire phone. I joined this forum in hopes that I can find those answers and share what I have found along the way. Here's to fun times mastering our :motdroidhoriz:'s.

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. First let me tell you that you do not need antivirus software. It has been shown to actually cause problems with the Droid. Backup on your phone, the big one seems to be Titanium, everyone is saying that is the way to go, you can get it in the market. I purchased something else previously and because I'm cheap I haven't bought it myself but that seems to get the highest rating. :)

Also check out the FAQ'S section, there are tons of how too's in there and a good way to find information yourself, but if you do need help ask, we are all here to help each other and learn.

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Hey

antivirus in my eyes is not needed, until you dont rood your device. As android is a linux derived operating system, most viruses for linux need root to do harm. Also, USING YOUR BRAIN is the best antivirus existing. If you want to be sure you dont have viruses, dont install files from unknown sources!!

To backup your entire phone i use 2 seperate programs.
#1 AppManager
Its available on the market and backs up your apps.

#2 sprite backup
is a paid app from the market and backs up the rest. unfortunately you only know how good your backup is, when you actually needed it, so i keep my fingers crossed, i never will!

Tigger
=)

P.s.: Titanium needs root.

OP
C

cbechtel

Reaction score
Hi All,

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. First let me tell you that you do not need antivirus software. It has been shown to actually cause problems with the Droid. Backup on your phone, the big one seems to be Titanium, everyone is saying that is the way to go, you can get it in the market. I purchased something else previously and because I'm cheap I haven't bought it myself but that seems to get the highest rating. :)

Also check out the FAQ'S section, there are tons of how too's in there and a good way to find information yourself, but if you do need help ask, we are all here to help each other and learn.

Thank you so much. It is a relief to know that there are nice people in this world wanting to help. I convinced my wife to get a one too. She ended up with the Droid Eris because that was more her style. Now I am tasked to learn to use mine and hers :)

OP
C

cbechtel

Reaction score
Hey

antivirus in my eyes is not needed, until you dont rood your device. As android is a linux derived operating system, most viruses for linux need root to do harm. Also, USING YOUR BRAIN is the best antivirus existing. If you want to be sure you dont have viruses, dont install files from unknown sources!!

To backup your entire phone i use 2 seperate programs.
#1 AppManager
Its available on the market and backs up your apps.

#2 sprite backup
is a paid app from the market and backs up the rest. unfortunately you only know how good your backup is, when you actually needed it, so i keep my fingers crossed, i never will!

Tigger
=)

P.s.: Titanium needs root.

Thanks for the wonderful information.