It sucks to root your Razr now!!! (in some way)

monkey_man

Reaction score
:D:D:D:D:D Tonight I got this Google Play balderdash via OTA push... now Google Play Video refused to rent videos if you rooted your phone! Well then Why can't we just delete these POS bloatware in the first place!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
:D:D:D:D:D Tonight I got this Google Play balderdash via OTA push... now Google Play Video refused to rent videos if you rooted your phone! Well then Why can't we just delete these POS bloatware in the first place!
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind this...I'm sure there is some. You can download/purchase many apps that are targeted for users who have root, in fact will only function if you have root, but they won't let you download a video if you have a rooted device. I don't see the logic in this.

skennelly

Reaction score
You might be able to use the app voodoo root keeper. It is made for Samsung devices but does work on some motorist Motorola phones. There is an option in the app to temporarily unroot your device.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
You might be able to use the app voodoo root keeper. It is made for Samsung devices but does work on some motorist Motorola phones. There is an option in the app to temporarily unroot your device.

It's not a big deal for me because I never watch video's on my Razr anyway...I just can't figure out the logic google used. Maybe it is a pirating issue.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
The reason is exactly as stated, piracy issues. Someone could just copy the movie over once downloaded if they were rooted. Google probably had to include that limitation in order to get a deal with the film distributors.

Sent from my R2 unit using DroidForums

blaten22

Reaction score
Is there a way around it? I'm rooted, but have no plans to copy any movies. Occasional movie on the razr would be nice on trips though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Is there a way around it? I'm rooted, but have no plans to copy any movies. Occasional movie on the razr would be nice on trips though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Your solution was pointed out by Skennelly ^^. Go to the Google Market (AKA Play Store - Yuch....), and download and install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. You'll first need to "Protect Root", and once you see all Green check marks, you can then hit "Temp. un-root (keeps backup)". Now your videos should work fine.

When you're done, simply "Restore Root" and you're back on the dark side! ;)