issue with apps on sd

superglen99

Reaction score
Whats the point of having apps on the sd if everytime you wipe your phone you lose all apps and data? I use titanium backup but that is pointless cause you still lose data for games and such. like angry birds. its on my sd card and i install a rom and wipe then titanium backup re installes everything but I have to start the game all over. wtf?? does anyone know how to save game data? and why do the apps on the sd card get wiped anyways?? frustrating.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good question. The only time I ever wiped when I was rooted. I never could figure out how to recover my apps. with Titanium.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I recently flashed a new ROM had Angry Birds on my SD, wiped data and cache and restored my apps with titanium and lost no game data - while performing the backup with titanium did you choose backup apps and user data ?

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe I did. First it had to restore itself but that happened in the Market.

Obviously it was user error. Since i'm not rooted I have been using My back up Pro. It too is not very explanatory about how to restore from it

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
When I restored my apps with titanium I could watch it say "restoring data" after every app that I reinstalled using my titanium backup

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market) :wink:

OP
superglen99

superglen99

Reaction score
Hmm I was warned not to install data, just apps from many users on theis forum b/c it can cause issues. i will have to see about this next time. but again what about those non rooted users who cant use titanium? It seems foolish to me that apps on the sd card get deleted when you wipe the phone and NOT the sd card. Makes no sense.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Because apps aren't stored on the SD Card they are installed (not stored)...and at that, it's only a partial install moving the bulk of data to the SD Card and leaving a stub "pointer" file internally to that external data.

Same thing for example Windows. If you install a program to another drive, wipe your windows system drive and reinstall even the exact same version of Windows...that "installed to other drive" program most likely won't function until you reinstall it as some of the core .dll files it uses are missing that went to system\program files.

When you use the apps2SD feature of Froyo, it's putting the bulk of the data on the SD Card for that app but leaving a stub or pointer type file on the internal storage. When you wipe data/cache and install a new ROM, all those "stubs" are gone...so there is nothing pointing to the rest of the file that is on the SD Card.

Restoring DATA for user apps is fine and suggested. Restoring DATA for system apps is NOT recommended and what most people are discussing when they say not to restore DATA from backup.

Titanium Backup works great for this. I have a few apps with a lot of configured data and after installing a ROM and letting my apps install...I always restore the data for those apps.

Non-rooted users most likely aren't going to be wiping data/cache that much and definitely won't be installing different ROMs so are affected much less than rooted users.