Is your Droid randomly deleting all your sms/txt messages? Help get the issue noticed

ZeppelinJ0

Reaction score
I noticed a lot of people having the same issue as me where, for whatever reason, all my txt messages are being completely deleted without telling the phone to do so.

I've created a bug report at the Google code site, and so far have about 22 "stars" but I'd like to get it's priority bumped up to high.

Here's the link to the bug report:
Issue 5669 - android - Droid deleting all Messaging/SMS conversation threads at random or triple sending - Project Hosting on Google Code

If anyone else is having this issue please post a comment at the link i provided with details on what you were doing when your messages were deleted.

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
I was shocked and upset when I saw I lost all my text messages a few days ago. I had about 10 peoples phone numbers in there that I hadn't saved as contacts yet. :(

Droid_Junky

Reaction score
Anyone using Handcent? After the latest update today I lost all SMS.

darreno1

Reaction score
I have all my messages since day 1. I'm not using any third party messaging apps though.

A

apeshitninja

The messaging process on mine has force-closed before when receiving a high volume of txt messages. It would not launch again, I had to reboot the phone and when it came back up all of the conversations I had saved were gone.

I needed some info in those, this is definitely an issue.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
The issue seems to be with 3rd party messaging apps, not the native one. Maybe the issue should be posted to the Handcent and ChompSMS support forums instead of google?

Dacantra

Reaction score
Mine is doing it as well and I have no third party SMS service installed.

minmongoblin

Reaction score
I have had no trouble with Handcent, even after yesterday's update. And it seems some of us aren't using third-party apps, so it IS Google's issue....

JayMonster

Reaction score
The underlying database of messages is part of the OS. This is why you need to shut off notifications to the base app when you install a product like Handcent or ChompSMS.

The issue would be in the OS, though I haven't experienced it yet myself, it seems to happen to people with much larger amounts of stored messages than I retain.

livmogurl

Reaction score
I got the Moto Droid on Nov 28th and the very next day it deleted all my txts after a box appeared saying something about Messaging needing to force close. I hit force close and next thing I know all of my 200 or so txts were gone. The exact same thing happened again a couple days later and this time I had set my limit to 5000 and turned auto-delete when limits reached off. This 2nd time I think it deleted 3 or 4 hundred. Just last night I took it to the Verizon store and got a replacement because of that and also bc it had been significantly lagging for 2 days non-stop (any scrolling/moving between home screens was jerky, way slower than normal, and not fluid) and was making funny noises in the background of all my calls. They switched my original SD card over to the replacement and now IT has just deleted all my txts AGAIN just 1 day after getting it, just like the first one did!!! Again a box popped up saying Messaging had encountered a problem and needed to force close. I had no choice but to force close it and sure enough all my txts were gone for a 3rd time. I use no third party messaging apps and they have never disappeared w/o a force close box showing up first. Could this be something wrong with my SD card since it's the same one that was in the first Droid?

rclaxx14

Reaction score
Its definitely not an sd card problem. I've been battling this problem for months now. No third party software, no apps at all.... I've even restored it and not changed a setting and it still happens. What I believe it is, is either A. an OS glitch or B. Something to do with the service in the area causing the glitch. Ultimately google and verizon are responsible and this is just not right for such a good phone.

n_s_simpson

Reaction score
Hi, I need to know if the following problems are limited to Milestone/Droid phones or is a problem with Android in general:1) Text messages randomly being deleted2) Multiple Google Mail accounts won't workI'm thinking of demanding a replacement because it's beyond a joke. I need to know if the same things will happen on the HTC Desire.ThanksNick