Is Turbo really TURBO ?

reneolm

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
For those that were/are curious (as I was) as to whether the “Turbo Charger” is truly Turbo charged the answer is “Yes”. Below is some nonscientific statistics on my little test(s). As an aside: although I am not an electrician or electronics engineer I always have and probably always will have concerns regarding overcharging. This is due to my 1st hand experience over the many years with electronic devices and some sought of instinct/gut feeling within me. Therefore, I defer to the experts on the overcharging, overcharging prevention subject and take my own precautions according to my “gut” feeling(s).

Droid Turbo: 64GB Ballistic nylon model (Battery = 3900 mAh) running on Lollipop 5.1 O/S

▼ Charging Statistics – Per time (in Minutes: Seconds to charge 1% of battery capacity) ▼

USB 2.0: connected to PC (Computer) → 8:20

Ghost 100 Qi Wireless Charging Base → 4:40

Electrical Outlet (A/C-Alternate Current) Cheap one @ $1 store4:50

Turbo Charger Electrical Outlet (A/C): 1:05

In the interest of comprehensiveness & if I get a chance I will add a USB 3.0 test and a heavy gauge Electrical Outlet A/C (something other than a Cheap one @ $1 store) to this test(s).

Happy Droiding !

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Nice information but bad thread title. We all know the Turbo charger CERTAINLY is a TURBO charger. There's no question there.
:D

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
For those that were/are curious (as I was) as to whether the “Turbo Charger” is truly Turbo charged the answer is “Yes”. Below is some nonscientific statistics on my little test(s). As an aside: although I am not an electrician or electronics engineer I always have and probably always will have concerns regarding overcharging. This is due to my 1st hand experience over the many years with electronic devices and some sought of instinct/gut feeling within me. Therefore, I defer to the experts on the overcharging, overcharging prevention subject and take my own precautions according to my “gut” feeling(s).

Droid Turbo: 64GB Ballistic nylon model (Battery = 3900 mAh) running on Lollipop 5.1 O/S

▼ Charging Statistics – Per time (in Minutes: Seconds to charge 1% of battery capacity) ▼

USB 2.0: connected to PC (Computer) → 8:20

Ghost 100 Qi Wireless Charging Base → 4:40

Electrical Outlet (A/C-Alternate Current) Cheap one @ $1 store4:50

Turbo Charger Electrical Outlet (A/C): 1:05

In the interest of comprehensiveness & if I get a chance I will add a USB 3.0 test and a heavy gauge Electrical Outlet A/C (something other than a Cheap one @ $1 store) to this test(s).

Happy Droiding !
I wondered about the difference in times. Always too lazy to compare. :) Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There is one aspect of Turbo Charging which I touched on in the past, and which may not be given consideration in the grand scheme of things. The faster you charge a battery, the less complete the charge, unless you include a significant after-charge at a "saturation" rate, which would be considerably slower than even a regular charge. The Turbo Charger is a three-stage charging system, so one would hope that the final saturation charge is sufficient to bring the full charge to as close to a typical wall wart charging as possible.

What I would like to see is a real world comparison of a 100% Turbo Charged battery then being used at a steady rate till it reaches let's say 15%, and then compare that to a 100% slow-charged battery and give it the same use to 15%, and let's see which battery actually gives off a longer runtime. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the trickle charged battery giving a significantly longer runtime, potentially as much as 15% or more, simply due to being able to hold more mAh of its rated capacity.

Perhaps I'll do that test.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I would take the position there would be no difference.
Maybe if you went from 40 to 80 percent on each charger maybe, possibly because you don't get the slow down charge on Turbo.
Still pessimistic here. ;)

Tap'n Turbo

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
weSkjA6.jpg

1coopgt

Reaction score
I've been using my Turbo Charger since I got the phone last Oct . Use it every night . The battery is fine .

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
There is one aspect of Turbo Charging which I touched on in the past, and which may not be given consideration in the grand scheme of things. The faster you charge a battery, the less complete the charge, unless you include a significant after-charge at a "saturation" rate, which would be considerably slower than even a regular charge. The Turbo Charger is a three-stage charging system, so one would hope that the final saturation charge is sufficient to bring the full charge to as close to a typical wall wart charging as possible.

What I would like to see is a real world comparison of a 100% Turbo Charged battery then being used at a steady rate till it reaches let's say 15%, and then compare that to a 100% slow-charged battery and give it the same use to 15%, and let's see which battery actually gives off a longer runtime. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the trickle charged battery giving a significantly longer runtime, potentially as much as 15% or more, simply due to being able to hold more mAh of its rated capacity.

Perhaps I'll do that test.

This is exactly how Samsung fast charges their phones. It starts out fast, but the end of the charging is slower. They must have had that in mind while developing it.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
110 is towards the high end of what's safe from what I've read. Beyond 120 is getting unsafe. The phone will shut itself down as a safety measure at around 140.

Tap'n Turbo

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
And the thing I read was specific to a high end phone 2 years ago so figuring tolerances and design may have improved slightly I think those are probably good numbers for today's flagships.

Tap'n Turbo

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I did some testing with GSAM when I got my phone.
Turbo charging got to around 110. QI charging fluctuated a lot and topped around the same at 109. Normal charging was in the 90s.

Tap'n Turbo