Is Titanium Necessary?

mcp770

Reaction score
I was wondering if the market saves your apps and you keep current nandroid backups is titanium really necessary other than freezing apps and moving to SD? As far as backups having a nandroid is really all one needs correct?

ecsnead69

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I don't use it alot but I do backup all my apps atleast once.. heres a good example of when it saved me....

I had shazam from the beginning before the encore (paid) version.... well if you had it from the beginning you automatically got the paid version free...

I switched roms and lost shazam! It was completely gone from the market! eventually I switched again and was able to reload my original version and kept all the paid perks for free!!!!

but other than that I don't use it much, but when it helped it helped..

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
necessary ..... ehh maybe not but it is very useful..

i use it to backup some of my data for the games on my phone so when i install a new rom i can restore all of my game save data..

i also theme alot of my own apps and dont want them updating after that so i freeze them.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use titanium to backup data, configurations, account info mostly...and unique or modded apps. It does cause problems with certain apps for me. For example when I restore chrome to phone with titanium it doesn't work properly. It's better to redownload it from market.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

billyidle

Reaction score
If you want to back up programs, so even if they are removed from the market, yes. If you want to back up app data to switch roms, phones, etc, then yes.
I can't imagine not having it

harrellj

Reaction score
I've noticed that the market backup for me is weird, like it will back up something I installed for 5 minutes 3 months ago, but not backup the one app I use daily. Titanium is helpful in that instance, as is Appbrain's list of my currently installed apps. Nandroid is only helpful if you want to restore not just your apps but your entire ROM, not helpful if you're switching ROMs or unrooting the phone.

billyidle

Reaction score
Or say an app gets updated, and you absolutely hate the update, Titanium to the rescue!

OP
mcp770

mcp770

Reaction score
I've noticed that the market backup for me is weird, like it will back up something I installed for 5 minutes 3 months ago, but not backup the one app I use daily. Titanium is helpful in that instance, as is Appbrain's list of my currently installed apps. Nandroid is only helpful if you want to restore not just your apps but your entire ROM, not helpful if you're switching ROMs or unrooting the phone.

Just used it for this exact reason. I have installed several ROMs over the past couple months on my x and never had an issue with the market reloading everything flawlessly. Well I installed a leak for the first time yesterday and behold the market only showed previous purchased apps but none of the free apps I had. Having apps backed up saved me a few minutes of searching the market. Anyways thanks for the responses. Using the Rubix roms does a great job of removing the fat I used to freeze but titanium is great to keep those apps backed up just in case.