is there a better camera app?

segen77

Reaction score
I like most everything about the phone, and the camera takes good pics of people. The problem is that I need to take pics of text fairly often and this camera app can't get the job done. My OG droid would focus on the text and get a good pic, but this phone seems to start in focus then go out of focus for text. It's as if it's looking for a face to zoom in on or something.

Can I get a different camera app to help with this?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Vignette... the demo version sucks but gives u an idea I put it on speed shot and can take a bunch of flicks w out waiting in between... doesn't utilize the front cam but then again I only used it a little today

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

don_droid

Reaction score
I use Lightbox and it seems to do better than the installed camera app. I have tried it on text, but like its lighting affects and it seems to better balance the contrast and shadow areas.

Edi

Reaction score
I've been using Camera Zoom FX as a replacement, it's a bit quicker in taking photos. I also like that I can map the volume keys, to say take photos, zoom, etc. And the filters are pretty cool.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everyone has a different opinion, I've tried a bunch and keep going back to stock. It does the job.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have the Demo and I started playing with it again.

1) How do you put on speed shot?

2) How come it fisheyes in landscape when you are trying to shoot in portrait? Seems like a bug.

Otherwise the autofocus is nice.

Vignette... the demo version sucks but gives u an idea I put it on speed shot and can take a bunch of flicks w out waiting in between... doesn't utilize the front cam but then again I only used it a little today

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
So on Vignette, the Demo only takes .03 MP pictures - so of course it can focus faster. Does the full version do so?

Also the quick shot took as long as the regular shots but you don't get to see the results without going to the gallery.

318Droid

Reaction score
taking pics of text? Man I take pics of TONS of text in my grad classes...I NEVER write anything down off the projector or magic marker board and I sit at the BACK of the class. I take all my pics, get home and print the slides out...Or if the instructor writes something down on the board, just snap and im done...And these are GREAT pictures where I can understand EVERYTHING EASILY that is written or shown from the projector. Do u know how to use your camera? A lot of ppl have smartphones and DONT know how to use the camera..Ppl in class was asking what kind of phone I had and how do i take perfect pics with it sitting all the way in the back of the class...Mind you, these ppl sit in the middle-front of the class taking SLOPPY pics with their phones. So I've showed at least 5 people how to use their smartphone cameras and they love the way the pics come out

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
That was helpful...

taking pics of text? Man I take pics of TONS of text in my grad classes...I NEVER write anything down off the projector or magic marker board and I sit at the BACK of the class. I take all my pics, get home and print the slides out...Or if the instructor writes something down on the board, just snap and im done...And these are GREAT pictures where I can understand EVERYTHING EASILY that is written or shown from the projector. Do u know how to use your camera? A lot of ppl have smartphones and DONT know how to use the camera..Ppl in class was asking what kind of phone I had and how do i take perfect pics with it sitting all the way in the back of the class...Mind you, these ppl sit in the middle-front of the class taking SLOPPY pics with their phones. So I've showed at least 5 people how to use their smartphone cameras and they love the way the pics come out

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
This phone's auto focus is really weird. It takes practice. You can actually put your finger on the reticule, hold for a second, and it'll let you move it around. If you haven't, try this, move it around a bit, just play with it and see if it produces any better results? Though I also hear great things about the camera replacement apps.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you click .3mp it gives u options upto 8mp.... there's normal and 9 other camera settings like speed shot, blind, fixed are some I used... going to the gallery each time is kinda a pain though

Fanatic1074

Reaction score
Sorry not to hijack the thread but anyone else having issues with the flash timing on the stock camera app?

Seems that its not taking the pic when the camera flashes about 70% of the time. Maybe a little before or a little after i cant tell.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes the flash isn't timed perfectly.

Actually Vignette is good except for the fact it's very buggy. It autofocuses and snaps the picture fast.

I would buy it but when the bugs it's not worth it now.

Also you have to go to the gallery just to see the pic you took which is a pain.

But I have to say it blows away the focus and flash of the stock.

Sanitarium09

Reaction score
It might not help the OP's problem, but I'll add one of my favorite camera apps, HDR+. IMO it improves the image quality considerably. It's no good at all for speed shots however as it takes 3 shots to compose one.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried HDR and wasn't too impressed. I can take good photo's with the stock but the focus can be a problem. Vignette solves it but comes with it's own problems. I don't think one application will do the trick at this point....