is the free wifi teather actually free

cgrimm9

Reaction score
I am woundering has anyone actually got charged data for the use of the free wifi teather for root users. my internet is crap drops every 30 min some time is just a spike some time its 3-5 min I am stuck in a contract and had 10 techs come to look at the problem and no one fixes it. I don't play madden alot but I want to be able to play a full game without a disconnect. so far 100% dissconect rate. I rather deal with a little lag on the cell then deal with disconnects. but I can't afford to get charged any extra for data

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
been using it for 8ish months. no charges.

wdprice3

Reaction score
should be, as it is just pulling data, just as you pull data for email/browswer/etc on the device. Verizon has no way to know what is pulling the data, just that data is being pulled; however, if you use tethering a lot, they may flag your account due to the high usage which is indicative of tethering. Essentially, the built in tethering app (that you pay for) is set up to block access through the app and not through the data pull, thus using a 3rd party app bypasses the built-in app and negates the need to pay.

dB Zac

Reaction score
it is if you have unlimited data or you stay within your data cap

wdprice3

Reaction score
whoa, people still have data caps? doesn't verizon require an unlimited plan? or are you guys rooted and using a different service?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
whoa, people still have data caps? doesn't verizon require an unlimited plan? or are you guys rooted and using a different service?

No, some people are misinformed about things, your normal data plan is unlimited. If you purchase the tether option that they now have for your phone, then that actually does have a cap, if i'm remembering correctly it's 2GB.

wdprice3

Reaction score

No, some people are misinformed about things, your normal data plan is unlimited. If you purchase the tether option that they now have for your phone, then that actually does have a cap, if i'm remembering correctly it's 2GB.

haha, misinformation on the Internet??? :icon_eek: