is s3 as good as s4?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a s3 for $200 from a friend and then selling my razr. I am wondering if the s3 was as good as the s4? Does it do the same things? Will the s3 get key lime pie?

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
Although the S3 is nice and what I currently have, the S4 does have some hardware upgrades that the S3 doesnt and will not get. You can get an S3 with a two year contract so I wouldnt buy a used one from a friend for $200.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
yea but I just got the droid razr with my upgrade in November. I don't have any lines for upgrade and don't really want to add another line.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hardware wise the S4 is better than the S3, however do not confuse hardware and performance. I played with an S4 and noticed little to 0 difference in load speeds between the two. So, yes, technically the S4 has better guts, but the question is do those guts really make a difference?

Don't get me started on screen sharpness or any of that either. I scrutinized the two, and the only way you'll notice such a slight difference is if you're the type to notice a difference in something mundane like that...

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
will the s3 receive future software updates like key lime pie?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a s3 for $200 from a friend and then selling my razr. I am wondering if the s3 was as good as the s4? Does it do the same things? Will the s3 get key lime pie?

I personally would make that move as long as the phone is in good shape. The s3 is a good phone and you save your upgrade. I have the note 2 and when compared to s4 the s4 had a better screen but like a poster above said you will not notice unless you are comparing the two. For what we use our phones for the screen resolution on the s3 and n2 is more than enough. I have not had an issue yet seeing and navigating through my phone. Plus when I work out I use my n2 to stream netflix while doing cardio on the treadmill or elliptical.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
will the s3 receive future software updates like key lime pie?

Yes. One Samsung already said it will upgrade the s3 and n2 to have most of the software integrations the s4 has. It is a matter of just waiting on samsung to get the vzw s4 out first. And with the developer support the s3 has I am sure you will not have a problem getting a hold of software one way or another.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
We'll definitely be getting KLP, but I estimate end of Q1/early Q3 2014 before we get it.

Also I just realized how futuristic the year 2014 sounds. And we get to be there!

debrad0307

Reaction score
Yes we will be getting key lime pie. Honestly I would do it. I love my S3. There are so many features on this phone that motorola will probably never offer. I used to be a die hard moto fan until I got the S3. I'll never go back to moto again. The S4 is a good phone but half of the upgrades aren't going to be noticeable and for the price it's not worth it. You're getting a good deal depending on the condition of the phone. You also keep an upgrade for a rainy day. :D

Sent from my Synergized S3

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I have such weak reception with my S3....I wonder if the S4 will have better radios? I don't know if it is just my phone but I drop calls all the time and so many times people have said they called me and it went straight to vm and I show no sign of a missed call. It makes me leery of the S4 but it would be nice because all the accessories will be pretty much the same.

verizon btw

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have such weak reception with my S3....I wonder if the S4 will have better radios? I don't know if it is just my phone but I drop calls all the time and so many times people have said they called me and it went straight to vm and I show no sign of a missed call. It makes me leery of the S4 but it would be nice because all the accessories will be pretty much the same.

verizon btw
Does your area have a strong signal in general or is just your phone? If it's just your phone have you tried bringing it in for a replacement? Could be a hardware (radio) issue.

Pjohn91

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
Our office is horrible....however, all my other phones worked well enough. Calls went through, calls came in...with my S3 I can only count on not dropping a call in there if i stay in one specific place. Most incoming calls won't even ring, goes straight to vm. Out in the field where signal is strong(4g) everything is fine but many times while in 3g with 1-2 bars i will drop calls and even get "network unavailable" with bars showing.