Is Motorola EU support deliberately deceiving their customers?

tehpriest

Reaction score
I have just sent this press release to several publishers.Please feel free to use it as you wish.

Is Motorola support deliberately deceiving their customers?

For the over a month Motorola support have been promising the release of a bug fix for the 2.1 Android operating system of its Milestone. They are claiming that the delay is due to awaiting approval from the networks before they can release. This is not new, Motorola also made the same claims when they originally released the 2.1 update. But how true is this statement made by Motorola support on their Facebook page and support forum?

I decided to find out what exactly the delay was by going directly to the network operators and asking them. I contacted T-Mobile via their Twitter page and received a reply within two days. The technical department were amazed at Motorola’s claim and said they had no software from them for approval and furthermore had no contact at Motorola whatsoever.

T-Mobile Support: “Thanks for getting back to me on this, I have read the reply and yes it`s good they are looking to release this, however the part about network approvals is not good. T Mobile UK do not have any contact information for anyone within Motorola regarding Android devices”

Similarly I have contacted Orange with the same enquiry and again they have said they have no knowledge of any Android software from Motorola awaiting approval on their network.

The bug fix is needed to alleviate several bugs within the system including the music player suddenly starting (very embarrassing if you are in a meeting or on the phone), The phone freezing and worse of all the phone continually resetting itself and restarting several times a day. These are all known bugs and as you can see very serious problems making the phone virtually unusable due to poor stability.

This then leaves us with the question what networks exactly are Motorola referring to when they claim “we are awaiting network approval”. Finally OFCOM, the UK government department which deals with mobile networks, have stated they have no guidance or regulations which require manufacturers to have their new smartphone software approved by any network.

So are Motorola misleading their customers? Motorola themselves have been asked for proof of their claim by simply supplying a contact at one of the networks to confirm it. So far, and sadly as usual, they have not replied.

To see the full extent of customer unhappiness and anger at Motorola please reference their own Facebook page and Support forums linked below.

Motorola Europe | Facebook

https://supportforums.motorola.com/...le-android/milestone?view=discussions&start=0

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I find this interesting but cmon, i think your kinda over doing the situation a bit. Motorola has good CS, the fact that you didnt get a reply could be because of several things. And is your entire complaint based on a facebook message? I can guarentee Motorola is working on or has the update complete. Motorola wont just "forget" to update the milestone. (you make it sound like a conspiracy)

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
Not so much conspiracy as poor CS. While I agree with you that the USA CS is very good the Euro / ROW support does not appear to be.

The facts are that Moto Euro say the they are awaiting networks approval and the networks say they know nothing of it. Moto Euro will not give us any way to confirm it.

Also the marketing director said we would be informed immediately about what decision was made re: 2.2 as soon as they had made one and then today we discover that they apparently intend to roll it out in Q4. Not a peep from the Facebook or Support forum on this though. In fact the thread on the support forum relating to 2.2 runs to 320 replies with 49.000++ hits and not one of those replies are from Moto.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not so much conspiracy as poor CS. While I agree with you that the USA CS is very good the Euro / ROW support does not appear to be.

The facts are that Moto Euro say the they are awaiting networks approval and the networks say they know nothing of it. Moto Euro will not give us any way to confirm it.

Also the marketing director said we would be informed immediately about what decision was made re: 2.2 as soon as they had made one and then today we discover that they apparently intend to roll it out in Q4. Not a peep from the Facebook or Support forum on this though. In fact the thread on the support forum relating to 2.2 runs to 320 replies with 49.000++ hits and not one of those replies are from Moto.
HAHAHA i actually clicked your moto link, 49,250 hits. Maybe you do have a point. To bad its not me you have to persuade....

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
It is even worse for ROW Baklip/Dext owners as they have now confirmed that although he USA will be updated to 2.1 the ROW will not.

This is a handset that is still being sold here as a social networking Android phone. The problem is the advert says and shows Facebook while the widget no longer works on the phone as the new Facebook app only works with 2.1 and up.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is even worse for ROW Baklip/Dext owners as they have now confirmed that although he USA will be updated to 2.1 the ROW will not.

This is a handset that is still being sold here as a social networking Android phone. The problem is the advert says and shows Facebook while the widget no longer works on the phone as the new Facebook app only works with 2.1 and up.

this is where roms and such are useful... they gots to make up for the lack of support.

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
Actually I have given the wrong figures there as the thread is split in two. The correct numbers are:

535 posts
178,874 hits

And now to really cap it off Motorola Europe's Facebook page where the members had posted the news about the release of 2.2 has changed. The members post and it's replies have disappeared (ed: the member says he has removed it) and there is now an official announcement by Moto of a, and I quote, "FREE UPDATE" coming at the end of the year. Wow so now we are going to get the software to make our phones run properly and ,make them usable and it is going to be FREE ! thank you Moto.

Last edited: