Is it possible....

SHAK3R

Reaction score
I downloaded some movies in the mp4 format which look great on the Droid. Would it be possible in any way to connect my Droid via USB to my TV and watch the movies. I have tried it and it didn't work, but I'm just unsure if my attempt was done correctly. Thanks in advance.

SHAK3R

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seriously doubt it....the Droid isn't made with this kind of hardware to support

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seriously doubt it....the Droid isn't made with this kind of hardware to support

^Nailed it... as far as I've seen there is NO video 'out' for the Droid. If someone finds out otherwise please post. If you have a wireless network there are a few streaming work arounds.

agdaniels

Reaction score
Some newer tvs has usb ports, I imagine it would be as simple as mounting your sdcard and navigating to the movie through the tv. Thats about as easy as it is when you plug a flash drive into the tv

iPirate

Reaction score
I downloaded some movies in the mp4 format which look great on the Droid. Would it be possible in any way to connect my Droid via USB to my TV and watch the movies. I have tried it and it didn't work, but I'm just unsure if my attempt was done correctly. Thanks in advance.

SHAK3R
You guys are missing the main point, via USB. My TV has a USB port and if you connect a USB drive you can watch whatever is on the drive on the TV.

Question is, when you connect a Droid, will the TV see it as a USB drive or not know what it is...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys are missing the main point, via USB. My TV has a USB port and if you connect a USB drive you can watch whatever is on the drive on the TV.

Question is, when you connect a Droid, will the TV see it as a USB drive or not know what it is...

I doubt it would recognize it. And I doubt the Droid would 'see' the TV as a computer/device to pull the mount option. But you could always get an MicroSD-USB adapter and go that route.

Sarreq Teryx

Reaction score
if it can see and use other usb drives, there should be no problem, but you won't be able to control thinks from the droid itself, your tv has to do the heavy lifting. you would mount the droid the same as with a computer; plug in, drop down the notification bar, tap the "usb connected" item, then select mount usb. the question is, can your tv play back mp4 files normally?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the TV have a network port? If so is it networked? If the answer to all of those is yes. Download the twoky app and turn wifi on. Then your droid is a media server and try to stream the move. This can also be done with a PS3 and an XBOX360

Guurzak

Reaction score
If you have the tv, the droid, and the USB cable that came in the box, why are you posting here instead of just plugging them together and trying it out"

Let us know how it works for you.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you have the tv, the droid, and the USB cable that came in the box, why are you posting here instead of just plugging them together and trying it out"

Let us know how it works for you.

:rofl3: that's what I was wondering :icon_ devil: seems it would take less time that posting the question to the board...

OP
SHAK3R

SHAK3R

Reaction score
@Guurzak and KZIWarrior: I really don't want this to turn into a flaming war but did you actually read the initial post. I'll go and quote myself.

SHAK3R

@KZIWarrior again: I have tried using a Micro-SD reader. I've tried connecting the Droid with the USB cable that came with the phone, I took the SD card out and inserted it into the Micro-SD reader and plugged it into the USB slot on the TV. I tried any and all possible scenarios available to me at the current time. I even tried inserting the SD card through the Wii and going that route.

So with that being said again. I wanted to know if my attempts were done correctly or do I need an App for the Droid, maybe a different type of format for the movie besides mp4, do I need anything other than the routes I've been taking. Thanks again.

SHAK3R

mjs31

Reaction score
@Guurzak and KZIWarrior: I really don't want this to turn into a flaming war but did you actually read the initial post. I'll go and quote myself.

SHAK3R

@KZIWarrior again: I have tried using a Micro-SD reader. I've tried connecting the Droid with the USB cable that came with the phone, I took the SD card out and inserted it into the Micro-SD reader and plugged it into the USB slot on the TV. I tried any and all possible scenarios available to me at the current time. I even tried inserting the SD card through the Wii and going that route.

So with that being said again. I wanted to know if my attempts were done correctly or do I need an App for the Droid, maybe a different type of format for the movie besides mp4, do I need anything other than the routes I've been taking. Thanks again.

SHAK3R

What people are failing to realize is that the tv would need to decode the mp4. Most, if not all, do not have this built in. They are capable of mp3 music and Jpgs, but I have yet to see one ready for movies from usb port. Not saying they don't exist, but I have not seen it. Now, some dvd players (mainly philips) have this option as does the xbox 360. With these, however, they just see the drive as an extra hd with media on it, bring it in, decode it and play it back. Tv's do not have this built in.

As someone mentioned, for just a tv to do this would require video out from the Droid which it does not have. Why video out? Because then the droid would be the one playing the video and sending it to the tv.

Again, not saying it doesnt exist, but it is definately not standard. The usb ports are deceiving on tv's and can make you think they have this extra ability.