Is it ME or the PHONE...?

Foreverrr

Reaction score
Alright, so I got my droid in early February i think, and it's worked excellent since, but about a week ago my physical keyboard would completely stop working, and the backspace button would bring up the quick search. I called up Verizon Customer support and they sent me a new replacement phone, which i recieved last monday. The night i got it, the keys on the keyboard already started to peel off. I only had used the phone for a few hours...

I called Verizon customer support again, and they sent me yet another phone, apologizing about everything that has happend. I received the phone on last Thursday.

It's now Saturday, and my keyboard is doing the exact same thing my first droid was doing. The physical keyboard doesn't work, and the backspace button brings up the Quick Search. Also i forgot to mention that when i slide the phone back closed, and bring up the touch screen keyboard, that doesn't work at all either.

Is it me or the the phone? Since this has happend so many times is there any thing Verizon can do to maybe stop it from happening again?

Thanks!

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Unless you're rooted and using the same rom for both the first and 3rd phones, I imagine this may be an incredibly poor string of misfortune. The second phone was verizon's fault of course.

If you aren't running a custom rom, I would suggest downloading a keyboard replacement like smart-keyboard and setting it to default to see if it is a software issue or alternatively using another rom such as Bugless Beast or Cyanogen to see if the problem is in system.app.

In your case.. hopefully you haven't gotten a string of rogue droid's. I'm currently on my 3rd from 2 hardware failures, and these kind of problems are not unheard of.

OP
F

Foreverrr

Reaction score
Unless you're rooted and using the same rom for both the first and 3rd phones, I imagine this may be an incredibly poor string of misfortune. The second phone was verizon's fault of course.

If you aren't running a custom rom, I would suggest downloading a keyboard replacement like smart-keyboard and setting it to default to see if it is a software issue or alternatively using another rom such as Bugless Beast or Cyanogen to see if the problem is in system.app.

In your case.. hopefully you haven't gotten a string of rogue droid's. I'm currently on my 3rd from 2 hardware failures, and these kind of problems are not unheard of.

I've never rooted any of my droids, but i do have the HTC touchscreen keyboard on my droid if that makes a difference...

droid d'oh

Reaction score
I guess that may be the issue. Try installing the free version of smartkeyboard or use the default keyboard in settings>language and keyboard. Uncheck the HTC and replace it with either of these and see if it fixes your issue.

OP
F

Foreverrr

Reaction score
I guess that may be the issue. Try installing the free version of smartkeyboard or use the default keyboard in settings>language and keyboard. Uncheck the HTC and replace it with either of these and see if it fixes your issue.

But would that really be the cause of the physical keyboard completely not working?

droid d'oh

Reaction score
Possibly, keyboard replacements have limited control over hardware. This is my best guess for your situation.