Is It Me Or Is BB 0.5 Buggier Than Ever?

allineman

Reaction score
no I didn't know that, thanks. Kinda sad, I liked that kernel:-( but anything to keep my Beast running smooth! Any recommendations on an alternate?

Reaction score
no I didn't know that, thanks. Kinda sad, I liked that kernel:-( but anything to keep my Beast running smooth! Any recommendations on an alternate?

SetCPU doesn't affect "voltage" but rather clock speed. (The 2 may be related, but for all intents and purposes they are different things when you are comparing what setCPU does and the "standard", "low", and "ultra low" voltage kernels that people put out.)

That said... some Droids run some kernels while others just don't. The more finicky Droids seem to get skittish on the higher clock speeds and sometimes the lower voltage ones, so start with "not those" and work your way up (in speed) and down (in voltage) until you find a kernel you like that your Droid can handle.

Everyone has their favorites; I've run p3droid, Chevy1, and most recently slayher. Honestly, beyond clock speeds and features, I haven't found a huge difference between them (other than they run or they don't), and kernel choice is a rather passionate subject among many so take everything here with a grain of salt. With the 3 I mentioned though you should be able to find something that works well.

This thread is a bit old so there may be newer versions out but this should be a decent start. Also look in ROM manager; there are quite a few in there: Froyo Kernels - Android Forums

Reaction score
My two cents...

I can say from personal experience that anything could be contributing to your reboots. I have seen really bad lag problems with certain themes over BB .4 (I dont remember exactly what theme(s)) but i kept going back to just the regular smoked glass because of how slow those other themes were. Also just try another kernel. Every phone is different, Chevy may work the best on my phone but maybe your phone would work better with jdlfg's anyROM kernels.

like I said, just my two cents.

Reaction score
if im runnin a interactive kernal on BB like Slayher..... an use setcpu do i put the scaling on interactive or on demand??

Sorry if thats a dumb question looked all over the forum with no clear answer

Reaction score
if im runnin a interactive kernal on BB like Slayher..... an use setcpu do i put the scaling on interactive or on demand??

Sorry if thats a dumb question looked all over the forum with no clear answer

Not a dumb question. There is no one "right" answer, though. Those are 2 different governors with slightly different behavior.

The short answer is "interactive" will scale up the CPU clock quicker. The good is that the phone feels more responsive and zippy. The bad is that the CPU is running faster, so it's also running hotter and depletes battery life quicker.

"ondemand" does kind of the same thing but the underlying mechanism is different. The upshot is that it scales up CPU clock speed not quite as quickly, resulting in a slightly slower phone with slightly better battery life.

I'd like to stress the "slightly" there - I haven't seen nor have I done any studies but I'd wager that the difference in battery life is within a few percent. Of course, that will vary depending on how you use your phone, too.

Try each one for a couple days; see if you can even tell a difference. Many can't.

Reaction score
Thanks Mike, so scaling in on demand would not hurt even if the kernal is set up for interactive?? and also i have seen people say there is no need for setcpu on BB is that true??

It won't hurt it, no. Slayher has a lot of different types of governors, so you can pick whichever one you want to use. Being "set up for interactive" only means that the interactive governor is available. setCPU should only show you the ones that you can actually use so you can't hurt it.

BB is coded in such a way that it will automatically use one of the governors; it used to be "ondemand", but that might have changed. When you use setCPU all you're doing is telling the kernel to use a governor which is the exact same thing the "stock" BB is doing. So in that sense, if you're going to use the same governor that BB uses then there's nothing to be gained by using setCPU.

However, setCPU can also *switch* governors, or min/max speeds, or both... depending on various conditions. This is done by using profiles. So for example, I have a profile that says "only go to 550 MHz if the battery is below 60%", so normally I'm going to up to 800MHz or 1GHz, but if the battery gets low, I turn it down a bit. Likewise I have a profile that says if it gets too hot, turn the max speed down to 550MHz, and change the governor to "conservative", which scales up the clock speed much much slower.

That auto-switching of governor and/or speed based on conditions the stock BB setup CANNOT do, so setCPU gets you a lot more functionality there. Which is why I use it. But for your run of the mill overclocking, it provides no extra benefit.

TangoSucka

Reaction score
Pete,

I installed .5 two days after it came out with a Kold Kooks Fusion theme. Now, it freezes and runs slow. Should I just reinstall it? And where do you even go to find kernals?

Reaction score
Thought, I would let everyone know i'm using setcpu on interactive on all profiles did the reset of battery stats in advanced menu on clockwork gave it a really good charge and i'm getting great battery life now! and the phone is super responsive with interactive on

lfylove

Reaction score
Umm I only wiped data and cache once... I used rom manager... it is working great for me no fc but wish it was more customizable

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App