Is droidmod not popular??

OP
tiggerxplur

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
Yes they are worse on updating than Verizon was with the 2,1 OTA :icon_eek:. That is basically the "root" of their problem now. I used them to originally root the phone and the ROM is still quite good. However, I took the opportunity to try some other ROM offerings, and do not regret it at all. When they finally offer their new Project Durden, I will try it too. The Project Durden will likely make or break them. They have promised "certified liquified awesome" (or somesuch). If they don't deliver pretty soon, they may be done. I imagine the posts will shoot up when they finally release the new ROM.

I agree with this very much and cyanogen is the one I had problems with most being slow

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Spewboy

Reaction score
I've flashed about every rom under the sun @ one time or another. Found several impressive enough to run with for awhile (I appreciate all you devs!). Then I read about the 24 bit color dropping down to 16 bit in 2.1 ota. I had wondered why the screen just didn't snap anymore, not quite as crisp and stunning. So I did some comparisons and was shocked to see the difference. Yesterday I flashed Succulent Desire and even though it's a beautiful piece of work, I compared it to DM1/Hex... no contest! Also loved REDROCKET (2.0.1) but I think it clashes with the recent baseband update, wasn't stable like before. I'll keep flashing here and there to stay up on what is what, but DM1 is my main for now... Thanks to the DM team.

JCo352

Reaction score
I've flashed about every rom under the sun @ one time or another. Found several impressive enough to run with for awhile (I appreciate all you devs!). Then I read about the 24 bit color dropping down to 16 bit in 2.1 ota. I had wondered why the screen just didn't snap anymore, not quite as crisp and stunning. So I did some comparisons and was shocked to see the difference. Yesterday I flashed Succulent Desire and even though it's a beautiful piece of work, I compared it to DM1/Hex... no contest! Also loved REDROCKET (2.0.1) but I think it clashes with the recent baseband update, wasn't stable like before. I'll keep flashing here and there to stay up on what is what, but DM1 is my main for now... Thanks to the DM team.

You do realize the downgrade to 16bit from 24 bit, was just in the new gallery right?

Reaction score
I love how people think that because a team hasn't finished their work that they are a dead project or a dieing project. How long did everyone wait for the Darkedge ROM/Theme to drop before it made it on the scene. These guys are taking their time to do it from source and do it right. I for one really don't care if takes them some time, I got tired of flashing a new ROM every day and/or every week long ago. The other Devs do great work in cooking up some pretty work, but until they stop just re-theming stock or cyan's code and actually start implementing real code changes like the CM and DM teams I'm not going to really be all that impressed and just stick with the teams that do so.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love how people think that because a team hasn't finished their work that they are a dead project or a dieing project. How long did everyone wait for the Darkedge ROM/Theme to drop before it made it on the scene. These guys are taking their time to do it from source and do it right. I for one really don't care if takes them some time, I got tired of flashing a new ROM every day and/or every week long ago. The other Devs do great work in cooking up some pretty work, but until they stop just re-theming stock or cyan's code and actually start implementing real code changes like the CM and DM teams I'm not going to really be all that impressed and just stick with the teams that do so.

Maybe, but the problem as I understand it is they are still working off of 2.0.1 and everybody who is stock now is 2.1. I really liked DMupdater, it made it so easy to root but in order for me to use it now I'd have to go back to 2.0.1.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and something has changed. I'm going by what I last read from them and that was a little while ago.

Reaction score

Maybe, but the problem as I understand it is they are still working off of 2.0.1 and everybody who is stock now is 2.1. I really liked DMupdater, it made it so easy to root but in order for me to use it now I'd have to go back to 2.0.1.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and something has changed. I'm going by what I last read from them and that was a little while ago.

Their next release is going to be built from source. They are taking a que from Cyanogen's Team and not working with sbf cut and paste. As source is released (2.1 being the most current) it is merged with theirs and added in. When 2.2 source is released, it will be merged with theirs and added in. Essentially DM will be up to par with whatever code google releases. This means that "if" they had their ROM completed and google released the source for 2.2 before it came to the droid via an OTA, DM (like CM) would have a stable and functioning ROM with 2.2 source before the rest of the droid community. In reality, they may not have a finished ROM before 2.2 source drops (I hope it is complete though) but further iterations of google code (2.3 and beyond) will be implemented as its released to the world.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

If you dont release updates at a reasonable pace, or at least tell people EXACTLY why you're so slow, people will lose interest in your work.

They did us a great service with DMU, opening rooting to thousands who may not have tried it otherwise, myself included. But when you dont stay up with your competition, you'll lose your following.

Reaction score

If you dont release updates at a reasonable pace, or at least tell people EXACTLY why you're so slow, people will lose interest in your work.

They did us a great service with DMU, opening rooting to thousands who may not have tried it otherwise, myself included. But when you dont stay up with your competition, you'll lose your following.

They have their own website and forum, if you read from there you get all the explanations you need.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
But they havent released anything official since February, their effective stagnation is costing them support.

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, I just think its funny that there have been comments saying their project is dieing or on the brink of death....simply untrue. My comments are not meant to bring the community flocking to their older ROM, nor to generate support for the team. They are simple observations about the general consensus on the boards about the lack of development. What I'm trying to get across is that they are still actively developing; a lack of release for a couple months doesn't mean stagnation or death, just purpose and a desire to get it done right so further code releases can be implemented easily and relatively bug free. Its a change in the way business is done in the team imo... a restructuring of effort within development doesn't happen overnight is all.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But they havent released anything official since February, their effective stagnation is costing them support.

This is true. When I found out they weren't going to set up DMupdater to work with 2.1 I lost interest. To bad because I really liked DMupdater.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I hear you, and I support what they're doing. I just think they're harming themselves with this "new model" of development. They jumped from one extreme (releases once a week) to the other (releases once every 4-6 months), and I ultimately think it's hurting them more than it's helping. There's a happy medium between rock solid releases, and keeping current. I just wish they'd move back towards a monthly release cycle rather than a bi-yearly cycle they seem to be on now...

Reaction score
I hear you, and I support what they're doing. I just think they're harming themselves with this "new model" of development. They jumped from one extreme (releases once a week) to the other (releases once every 4-6 months), and I ultimately think it's hurting them more than it's helping. There's a happy medium between rock solid releases, and keeping current. I just wish they'd move back towards a monthly release cycle rather than a bi-yearly cycle they seem to be on now...

I think though, when they get their source done right, they will be back on track with a more reasonable set of releases, similar to Koush and CyanogenMod's development schedule. The point is to get it right the first time, then it becomes easier for updates to roll out.

$mitty

Reaction score
I too got tired of waiting. I sang their praises for the longest time and still give them credit for making the root process so simple with their SMUpdater (SholesMod) that was eventually renamed DMUpdater.

Decided to make the switch to something else when DarkEdge was released. Went with their ESE81 stock root and overclock with P3Droid's 1GHz kernel and it honestly runs much better than DM ever did. I never get those random reboots like I did all the time with DM and it runs faster and cooler now. The temp and performance could probably be credited to the great tips in SkullOne's Overclocking 101 thread though. His tips on the profiles and advanced settings made a HUGE difference.

I'll consider giving Project Durden a try if/when it ever comes out. But with the DarkEdge team set to release a 2.2 version of DE in July, I can't see myself going back unless they release something that's just mindblowingly awesome.

Til then, I highly recommend DarkEdge!!!