Is D2 worth the early upgrade

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Droid 2 Device Caught in the Wild Again

On 06.18.10, In News, by Kellex

Hey look, the Droid 2 again!
It sounds like one of Gizmodo’s readers experienced a little hands-on time with the Motorola Droid 2 recently and came away with the same impressions and stats as we did. (Check out our exclusive photos here.)
-Same look and feel as Droid 1
-Better keyboard
-8GB internal with 8GB SD card
-Android 2.1 with Motoblur 2.0
-5MP camera
-Same dark chrome color with blue bottom
I’m really starting to believe more and more that this chrome and blue model with Android 2.1 and Motoblur 2.0 is in fact just a test model. The color scheme doesn’t match up to the rest of the lineup’s black/gold/red exteriors and remember that the Droid X even seemed to morph each time we saw a new shot of it.
Oh and Gizzie’s reader mentioned “Droid 2″ not being the final name, but our official commercial slides definitely said Droid 2 on them. A last minute name change seems a little unlikely.

Based on those stats who would waste an early upgrade for that. Any why. I am hoping that info is bogus and they do more with it or the D2 will be disappointing based on the other android devices that have or will be released.

Munstir

Reaction score
Agreed and with the new phones coming out this fall that sound amazing, I don't see why this would make anyone jump the gun for nothing more than a little body upgrade. I can't find a special thing about it. =[

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really didn't expect this phone to be released until fall, but that article says within a few weeks!!

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If they would have had a bigger screen and at least a snapdragon 1 ghz processor it would be a thought. But it seems as if they added what looks like a better keyboard and bumped up the processor speed. Other then the keyboard we have already figured out how to bump up our processor speed.

The Droid I want is the size of the droid x with a keyboard and a 2ghz processor. Hopefully they come through with that. The 2ghz processor is what is keeping me from looking at the Droid x. If Ima burn an early upgrade I want something that is worth it.

zeke

Reaction score
cramp that

nope they can keep that. I will wait. not worth my money

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If u never had a Droid before, and want to get a phone with a physical keyboard, this is a great choice. Its waay better then the Devour and the LG Ally, expect for the keyboard....lol

It has its pluses over the Droid: 8GB internal memory; faster, better cpu; better keyboard. If it has the same cpu that the Droid X has, there's no doubt this will be a powerful, fast phone. And it will have better battery life based on the 45nm technology. (for those that dont get that, it will draw less power from the battery, suck less juice out of it, and the cpu will be a lil cooler)

But if u already have a Droid, then this is like nothing special, especially if u are rooted. For non rooted ppl, this is a good upgrade choice for a phone with a physical keyboard. But just for the cpu alone, this might make it worth an upgrade.

Me, I thought I needed a physical keyboard, and I barely use it, expecially after using Swype. So I will probably be looking at slate phones or waaay better physical keyboard phones in the future. If the Droid X wasnt coming out, I would be all over this. Who knows, I may still get it if the X is too big, and save my upgrade for an LTE phone.

I dont think its worth paying retail for tho if u already have a Droid, rooted, overclocked, using SetCPU profiles, running Froyo.....decisions....decisions....lol

aayoo

Reaction score
Not with those specs. No front-facing camera, no 4.3" screen, no 8mp camera. As much as i love my physical keyboard, i'm willing to do without if need be. I'm saddened because i've become biased toward motorola since the droid, i've had the htc droid eris before and the audio output was horrible(music was no where near as loud or clear as motorola.)

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Imo don't pay full retail for the Droid 2. It's just basically a Droid with a better processor and a different keyboard ( I don't mine the current one ). If you are going to pay full retail for a phone, I'd rather get the Droid X, it's a completely different phone.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
If something happened to my droid, I would go for the early upgrade.
Other than that I am content to wait for my ne2 and hope they have the dual proccesor models out by then. The droid 2 is cool, but the original is still plenty fast and has the best and largest community. There will always be a new phone. My rule with tech, is to wait till its 2x as cool.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
The droid 2 could be coming with a 1Ghz omap, and that will beat anything out right now. The droid at 800Mhz benches the same as a 1ghz snap, so even if it only comes with a 750Mhz omap3630, it will still be a very fast processor, and even faster when it is rooted and overclocked. Still not worth it with the dual core processors that might be coming out the end of the year...

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Droid X I think has a 1 ghz omap.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Droid X I think has a 1 ghz omap.
Anything said is pure speculation until fulls specs are released, but I don't see a problem with it getting a 1ghz omap along side the rumor for the droid 2. Again, anything could change, but from leaks it is supposed to be getting "a" 1ghz processor. Who knows?

Droid101

Reaction score
Unfortunately I wouldn't use an early upgrade for a phone which is almost similar to what I have now just some different hardware,software and some changes to the keyboard. What I am waiting for is the Verizon 4g phones (hoping Motorola comes out with a 4G Droiddancedroid)