Is AOKP the best ROM?

SwagTech

Reaction score
I'm running AOKP with the Franco kernel. Is this the best ROM out? I guess I'm itching to try to flash a new ROM. Still new at rooting. Im ok with the battery life, but the signal strength could be alot better. Still my favorite phone! !

mikespe

Reaction score
You're going to get various answers but the 2 top roms for the Nexus seem to be AOKP & LiquidSmooth. I'm running Liquid & won't look at any other roms. I tried AOKP but my phone didn't like it. I am also running the latest Franco nightly

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but best is subjective. Is it the most popular? Perhaps. But there is no way to quantify that AOKP is better than another ROM without bringing opinions into it. Gummy, Sourcery, Liquid, CM9, Apex, Axiom, Kangorade, Tranquility, RootzBoat, MIUI, or even something like the tablet ROM (sorry the name escapes me at the moment). Most ROMs will have their fans, just because one is more popular than the other doesn't mean it is the best.

As long as you have time, and don't mind, trying as many ROMs that interest you is a good idea. Nothing wrong with getting tied to a ROM you like, but there is a possibility of something else out there you enjoy more. All it takes is some experimenting to find out if it exists.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
Which rom are you running? .. also, where do I find roms to download? I have Rom manager, but I've read in this forum its best to download elsewhere.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Which rom are you running? .. also, where do I find roms to download? I have Rom manager, but I've read in this forum its best to download elsewhere.

There's ROMs here, Rootzwiki, XDA. Just make sure you navigate to the CDMA [VZW] Galaxy Nexus sections and you'll have plenty of ROMs to choose from.

OP
SwagTech

SwagTech

Reaction score
I flashed the latest AOKP build. The battery life is incredible!!. I am afraid to try other roms now. I will try them though. I guess I can just flash my backup if I don't like it.

Durandgir

Reaction score
It depends on your phone, my phone hates AOKP, it will do fine with other roms based on AOKP but my phone tends to perfer Liquid and Gummy. Basically there is no "best" rom like many have said, it's all preference and what works best for you.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I've only tried AOKP, but since my phone works so perfectly, I have no desire to try any other ROM. Sure, I would love to see what other ROMs have to offer, but I feel that it is unnecessary because AOKP is just rock solid for me. Not to mention, I don't really have tons of time to do all the backups and set ups just to try out new ROMs (it does take me quite a bit of time, and I'm no novice to flashing ROMs).

Speaking of which, I notice they come out with some sort of update (new build) almost every week. It is necessary to flash every new update? If so, do I really need to do a full wipe (say, if I'm coming from build 35 to 36, for instance)?

EDIT: Also, why no AOKP section in this forum? Just curious...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I've only tried AOKP, but since my phone works so perfectly, I have no desire to try any other ROM. Sure, I would love to see what other ROMs have to offer, but I feel that it is unnecessary because AOKP is just rock solid for me. Not to mention, I don't really have tons of time to do all the backups and set ups just to try out new ROMs (it does take me quite a bit of time, and I'm no novice to flashing ROMs).
It can take some time to go ROM to ROM, I find myself flashing less and less due to lack of time. But if someone does have time, I would encourage them to try as many different ROMs as they have the chance to try.
Speaking of which, I notice they come out with some sort of update (new build) almost every week. It is necessary to flash every new update? If so, do I really need to do a full wipe (say, if I'm coming from build 35 to 36, for instance)?

Do you have to update? No. Each update usually fixes things that may have been iffy in a previous build, added a new feature, and potentially add new bugs due to new features. If you have time, it isn't a terrible idea to keep up with them as in theory they get better with each build but no, definitely not necessary. You can browse through their threads to see if there are problems with the new builds and/or read the changelogs to see if they fixed something that bothers you or added a new feature that you may enjoy.

Do you need to wipe? That depends on what they have done. Generally Roman and crew will specify if a wipe is necessary for a specific build or not. Generally if you skip more than one it is almost always required to wipe. It is always recommended to wipe though. Usually if problems crop up the questions they will ask involve have you done any theming/modding, kernel changes, or did you wipe. Personally I wipe between flashes, regardless of if I have to or not. No need to set myself up for possible problems that I could be avoided.

I assume this is due to AOKP not wanting to spread out over 200 different forums. I could be wrong, but I believe the only other forum they post on is XDA, and I don't think they do that as often. They even closed down their own forums. I don't really follow the behind the scenes stuff though, so I am purely speculating as to why.

Durandgir

Reaction score
b-jammin21 said:

Always use what works best for you :D and I know right? Though rootzwiki is full of tons of roms and no sections.