Is antivirus really necessary?

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Finally got worried enough to install antivirus today. Specifically, Antivirus Free by droidSecurity, Inc. Just checked my battery use and it's used 41% of my battery today, compared to 16% for the display. I can only assume that it's doing the same thing to my memory. So I find myself thinking I don't really need it seeing as I have never heard of anyone getting a virus. Do I really need antivirus? Have there been horror stories already?

Graffin

Reaction score
I've been kind of wondering this myself. I downloaded lookout because I decided to put some mp3s that I may have acquired from some less than legal sources on my phone, and didn't want to take the chance of some rogue software messing it up.

I actually really enjoy the other features of lookout, as well. You can back up your contacts, (not that google doesn't do that) and you can get online and set your phone to make noise if you replace it or see where it is if it gets stolen

Still, do I really need the AV software?

evil_O

Reaction score
From what I understand the Droid OS (Android) does not need antivirus software...

Thank Linux for that.

I've been kind of wondering this myself. I downloaded lookout because I decided to put some mp3s that I may have acquired from some less than legal sources on my phone, and didn't want to take the chance of some rogue software messing it up.

I actually really enjoy the other features of lookout, as well. You can back up your contacts, (not that google doesn't do that) and you can get online and set your phone to make noise if you replace it or see where it is if it gets stolen

WaveSecure Beta will do that and more.

Terra

Reaction score
I'm not sure but it wouldn't hurt. I use lookout too and it works well. I have no problems with it whatsoever and its free.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had Lookout and deleted it for WaveSecure Beta. Lookout is a bit of a sham since it scans the download after it's been downloaded. I have yet to find the perfect free utility that backs everything up and protects you.

From what I understand the Droid OS (Android) does not need antivirus software...

Thank Linux for that.

WaveSecure Beta will do that and more.

ipawd1

Reaction score
Wavesecure looks interesting. Let me try my hand with it

jaysonstaurt

Reaction score
Not really IMO. If something happens you just factory reset and reload all your stuff. Takes all of 5 minutes.

Reaction score
I originally had WaveSecure and switched over the Mobile Defense. I would very much recommend Mobile Defense over WaveSecure. The online interface is better, they're working on making it so that "advanced users" (I'm guessing this might mean those who have root) can switch GPS on remotely, and the program hides itself and prevents itself from being uninstalled by thieves. I don't believe WaveSecure can currently do GPS tracking and it displays itself prominently in the notification bar, proudly declaring "THIS PHONE IS PROTECTED BY WAVESECURE" - until you uninstall it.

evil_O

Reaction score
I originally had WaveSecure and switched over the Mobile Defense. I would very much recommend Mobile Defense over WaveSecure. The online interface is better, they're working on making it so that "advanced users" (I'm guessing this might mean those who have root) can switch GPS on remotely, and the program hides itself and prevents itself from being uninstalled by thieves. I don't believe WaveSecure can currently do GPS tracking and it displays itself prominently in the notification bar, proudly declaring "THIS PHONE IS PROTECTED BY WAVESECURE" - until you uninstall it.

I have Wave Secure and it DOES NOT declare anything in the notification bar. Maybe I just have an updated version? Wave Secure CAN do GPS tracking. It can also do remote wipe and data backup.

Check them both out before making a decision. This is the BEST way to avoid misinformation.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
There is no reason to believe the "antivirus" software is any more secure than any other app in the market. Therefore it is a gigantic waste.

Reaction score

I have Wave Secure and it DOES NOT declare anything in the notification bar. Maybe I just have an updated version? Wave Secure CAN do GPS tracking. It can also do remote wipe and data backup.

Check them both out before making a decision. This is the BEST way to avoid misinformation.
My notification bar had the logo for Ten Cube, and when I pulled it down, it stated that the phone was protected. It was a dead giveaway that some program should be uninstalled. Perhaps that did go away with a recent update, I don't know.

As for GPS, it's possible I just couldn't lock on to the satellites at the time.

In the end, I've had a much better time with Mobile Defense, so my recommendation for that program stays. But, yeah, definitely check out both to see which works for you since you might find something that sells you on one over the other.

cheewee

Reaction score
My notification bar had the logo for Ten Cube, and when I pulled it down, it stated that the phone was protected. It was a dead giveaway that some program should be uninstalled. Perhaps that did go away with a recent update, I don't know.

As for GPS, it's possible I just couldn't lock on to the satellites at the time.

In the end, I've had a much better time with Mobile Defense, so my recommendation for that program stays. But, yeah, definitely check out both to see which works for you since you might find something that sells you on one over the other.

Hi Vanilla Tarantino,
Yes, the status notification that showed up on every restart was removed along with the 11 Dec update. You can refer to the change log for more information.

Also, we've just pushed a new update to Android Market to fix the bug that causes WaveSecure to not show up on phones with QVGA screens like the HTC Tattoo.

Thanks,
cheewee
Team WaveSecure
www.wavesecure.com