Is a verizon store best place to purchase? Or online? Any secret for getting best $

Mfusick

Reaction score
Where should I purchase?

Any coupons or deals or anything going on?

I want to purchase Droid X and a Droid 2 for girlfriend.

Current customers and elligible for upgrade.

any advice?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Personally I only buy online from Verizon, via phone from Verizon or directly from a factory Verizon store. I do not buy from third party vendors. But that's just me and it may actually make no difference. I have seen better deals with the online and phone in prices occasionally. I've gotten instant rebates via those two sources in the past too. Don't really know about now. Check around and see what deals are available.

I do know that the absolute lowest prices I've seen on the Droid were always at third party vendors (Walmart, Amazon, etc.).

Good luck.

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score
I feel the same.. just wondering if a better deal can be had.

Any way to get a better price at a verizon store?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I like Best Buy, they have instant rebates and it is less of a hassle than VZW

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score
I like Best Buy, they have instant rebates and it is less of a hassle than VZW

seriously?

the rebate is instant?

dqha0stare.jpg

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I purchase over the phone. Usually that happens because I'm trying to finagle a deal out of Verizon. For example, I wanted my D2 a couple of weeks before my option came up. I asked if they would let me update early and they said yes but only if I did it with them over the phone.;)

Rebate is instant that way too.

jaben2

Reaction score
Online purchases are instant rebates. Usually free overnight shipping as well.
I am guessing so they can start downsizing the stores.
Whats the point of keeping a store open when they can do it all online. More profit.

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score
advantage of store is you can touch and feel it before you buy it and return it locally for 30 days

I need to touch and feel to decide the droid 2 with real keyboard vs droid X with HDMI, 720p video, bigger screen and best battery life, and 8meg camera

hmmm...

all depends on size and how they feel in my hands.. how good the touch screen works for texting vs a real keyboard

r314bd

Reaction score
A Verizon store is definitely not the best place to purchase. Prices are often higher than they are anywhere else. The employees are more often than not incompetent and mishandle phones. I've even seen employees taking the liberty of downloading apps from the Market without owner consent. Plus they try to upsell you. They're scumbags.

In order I would say first try Wirefly, then VZW online/by phone, then the dark alley behind the crack house, then the VZW store.

EDIT: Definitely go to the store and try out the phones if you'd like, but don't buy there.

OP
M

Mfusick

Reaction score
but if I want it right now?

store is the best option...

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Best Buy is the best option if you want it right now, although they probably won't have the DX in stock, but VZW probably doesn't have it either

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Best Buy is the best option if you want it right now, although they probably won't have the DX in stock, but VZW probably doesn't have it either

Huh? How do you figure that?

It just depends if Best Buy has them in there warehouse or Verizon. I would say your chances of getting one from Verizon in stock. A quick check of Best Buy shows them out of stock. That's it. Verizon shows shipped by 9/24.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know my answer is smashed up, here is what I mean...if you want a device right now, want an instant rebate, and don't want the hassle of VZW then Best Buy is the best choice, the downside is...chances are best buy will not have the DX in stock, but Verizon probably won't have the DX either...hold on that's what I said the first time, how is that confusing???

:)

velocity92c

Reaction score
I didn't read most of this thread but buying from the VZW store is the worst option. Walmart, Amazon and especially Wirefly will save you all kinds of money. I got my. D1 from Wirefly for 10 bucks when it was still 200 at vzw.