ipod emulator for droid.. to allow car stereos etc. to work

angelman

Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but I was wondering how hard/impossible it might be. The reason being that so many things are "ipod compatible" or "made for ipod" and it would be great if we could take advantage of that somehow. Of course the dock connector is different but things like my car stereo that has a usb input and an ipod mode for controlling the ipod. It would be great if I could plug the droid in and take advantage of some of the functionality somehow.
I can't see car manufacturers or boombox people supporting android any time soon, so maybe there is some sort of workaround like creating an emulator..

moosc

Reaction score
If u have usb u should b able to run the droid from it. Or if u have a accwsory port u can plug it into that.

D

Droidlicous

Yeah just plug your droid directly to the usb port and mount with your droid and it should come up as a mass storage and still charge. Diffly better way than an aux port as you would be using the headphone jack instead and not having any control through you head unit. You might also wanna think about bluetooth enabled headunits too but than you will need to charger your droid.

jdchaiken

Reaction score
iPod emulator

Sadly, the functionality is not the same. In my Honda, if I plug in the Droid as a USB drive, it sorts by folder, and filename. If I plug an iPod in, I get a different (better) interface.

Any ideas?

J

tamlin42

Reaction score
Yeah, this would be pretty awesome, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's an sdk or api issue with Apple. I don't recall where we stand on DMCA or Patriot Act issues right now, but any software coming up that uses an Apple interface protocol would probably be subject to litigation.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if Apple has it.... expect to not see anything like it anywhere else... ie pinch to zoom.
Apple keeps a stranglehold on everything. They don't play nice.

Cunha

Reaction score
I am bumping this old thread because I wanted to know if anyone had a good solution to this issue. How do your Droids interface with stereo bluetooth setups? I would like to be able to change my song without fiddling with my droid. What is the best way you guys have seen to interface with your droid in a car stereo?

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Bluetooth works beautifully for interfacing the Droid to a car stereo. Skip, Pause, rewind, handsfree calling... etc all worked pretty good on my D1. Haven't used my DX on bluetooth yet though.

Cunha

Reaction score
You could control playback via the stereo itself when the Droid was connected via bluetooth?

jloya

Reaction score
Bluetooth works beautifully for interfacing the Droid to a car stereo. Skip, Pause, rewind, handsfree calling... etc all worked pretty good on my D1. Haven't used my DX on bluetooth yet though.

+1, I have a X and use it to play pandora/stored music over bluetooth

also have access to hands free calling as well....

personally I like using my X to navigate and pick songs.....im either fiddling with a tiny screen on my stereo or quicky selecting a song on my massive X :)

HamDog

Reaction score
You could control playback via the stereo itself when the Droid was connected via bluetooth?

Depends on the car stereo. Most car stereos that are bluetooth enabled and able to stream music from your phone can also control the tracks. This means you can change songs without touching your Droid.

If your car stereo doesn't have bluetooth, there are many ways you can add a bluetooth adapter. These adapters hook up to your car stereo either by an aux input (if your car stereo has an aux or iPod input) or by either wired or wieless FM modulation (Wired being much preferred). Many of these adapters also allow you to control songs without touching your Droid.

I installed an Alpine Bluetooth unit to my factory Honda car stereo. I can take and make calls, listen to music, change tracks, etc. without every having to touch my phone. I love it so much I made a YouTube video:

[video=youtube;UjfrxJrtgj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjfrxJrtgj4[/video]

MNTNBKR

Reaction score
Yes. The only thing I never tried was placing a call via bluetooth. I was however able to receive calls and listen to the caller via the car speakers.

NebulaOcton

Reaction score
I'm glad this got resurrected, I am not going to try the usb port of my stereo on my droid instead of the aux and phone charger. Of course, if it works in my Soul, I will need to adjust my Tasker profiles again.... And if it does that is especially good because my charger is on its last legs (bad connector).

Zephino

Reaction score
Has anyone figured out how to use an usb cable with a car stereo. I have an older pineeor headunit that had ipod controls and stuff. But not blue tooth. There is no way to mount it with my my phone. If there is I guess idk how to do it. I tried a few times now but fail each time. I have a galaxy s4 btw.