Internal vs Sd

doublea500

Reaction score
I have had the droid 1 with the sd card and now the galaxy nexus with mtp (internal memory). They both have ups and downs to them but my opinion is that mtp is better. Heres a comparison.

Sd Card- Pros
-Quicker Speeds (for moving files and folders in and out)
-External memory meaning you can take the sd card out and put it in a different phone.
-can put files onto the card without the phone
-Cons
-Annoying "waiting for sd card" lag at the start
-annoying to enable mass usb storage

Mtp (internal memory)-Pros
-Quick to set up and put files in. Only a connection needed
-Lagless

Cons
-Unbelievably slow in transfering large files
-dont think its possible to open up wiht cwk

Opinions?

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
I agree they both have ups and downs but, i never really took out the SD out of the D1 for any reason, never put it in another phone, it was lagging, i remember people complaining about it getting corrupted.
As for the internal, so far so good, never felt is was slower with transferring files, granted i never transferred to it anything Hugh but it seems fine.

OP
doublea500

doublea500

Reaction score
I agree they both have ups and downs but, i never really took out the SD out of the D1 for any reason, never put it in another phone, it was lagging, i remember people complaining about it getting corrupted.
As for the internal, so far so good, never felt is was slower with transferring files, granted i never transferred to it anything Hugh but it seems fine.

i had to backup my phone since i was about to get a replacement phone. Thats like 10 gb. took tooo long.

Syraz

Reaction score
On my phone the SD card never leaves, so internal is perfectly fine, having the option is nice but not needed, my nook color though that I switch stuff out a lot, more so cause I keep clockwork on an sd card.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I kind of wish they would have used a solid state drive(6gb/s) vs the internal memory they have in. this phone would fly.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't miss an sd card at all. I don't think the whole mtp thing turned out to be as big of a deal as everyone thought it was. People were ready to burn Google at the stake when the specs were announced, but now I think everyone realizes that it's really not than bad.

WGJ

Reaction score
Heres one score for sd. If you are using an encrypted program, like Splashid, to save passwords etc, and do not have WiFi for syncing to desktop, the only way (according to Splashid Help) to transfer data between phones is by moving the sd card to the new one and uploading data. They say there is no way to do this with internal memory/no card. !!!??

Last edited:

prowler85

Reaction score
I agree after using for 1+ months that there are a lot of pluses for the internal, and it really isn't a big deal. The only real problem I've had is a few devices that don't use MTP and want a usb connection. We have an HP scanner that's not connected to the network and I used to scan and plug my phone in to get the scan (rather than carry a usb stick). I also can't plug my phone in to my truck any more to play music into its usb input as it doesn't even see my phone now. So it would have at least been nice if they could have tricked it into being a usb mass storage device. But overall I prefer the internal over the SD.