Insufficient Memory

Manderson31395

Reaction score
Hey I have a Droid 3 with Steel Droid 5.3 ICS

I hadn't had a problem for months when yesterday i updated Handcent to 4.4.0
Then the next day they released a new update to fix some issue (4.4.1). This update wouldn't install because I had insufficient memory available. I unistalled Handcent and deleted all references in Es file yet some apps just won't install

Now this occurs with other apps as well but not all apps won't install.

As for memory I have plenty
internal app storage: 571MB used, 1.4GB free
running/RAM: 267MB used, 176MB free
internal sd: 5gb used, 6gb free
external sd: 15gb used, 15gb free

I have uninstalled apps with no success, I even tried installing an old version of handcent yet that didn't work either

I have searched endlessly over the past two days.
all suggesting either a bad market update (now its google play though)
or to use apps2sd, but i clearly have enough space

This is the only place where some1 had the same issue and solved it xda-developers - View Single Post - [solved] Handcent install fails tried changing the permissions but it didnt work or maybe I did it wrong, can some1 help?

OP
M

Manderson31395

Reaction score
Update

I did a nandroid backup to two weeks ago and handcent was there and apps were updating EXCEPT

Today I see another handcent update which I try and it fails because of memory AGAIN. I'm smart enough to know not to uninstall to try a fresh install BUT

On a reboot I preformed my phone had deleted handcent off my phone, just gone. I tried installing from market but apparently i dont have enough storage.

I'm back to stock messaging, can any1 help because I doubt I will be able to install apps anymore if this keeps up.

kenji91

Reaction score
So I accidentally deleted all the rooms on my phone . When I went to recreate a romantic slot, I only had enough space for a 1GB slot. Can someone tell me what happened to the rest of my space? I don't have any big files in /sdcard.

kwyrt

Reaction score
So I accidentally deleted all the rooms on my phone . When I went to recreate a romantic slot, I only had enough space for a 1GB slot. Can someone tell me what happened to the rest of my space? I don't have any big files in /sdcard.

When you say you deleted all your ROMs do you mean you deleted your stock ROM too? If you can boot into stock, use an app to see what is eating all your space (I like DiskUsage myself).

kenji91

Reaction score
When you say you deleted all your ROMs do you mean you deleted your stock ROM too? If you can boot into stock, use an app to see what is eating all your space (I like DiskUsage myself).

It's nothing in /sdcard. Are there a bunch of files that get left behind somewhere else?

kenji91

Reaction score
Basically, I deleted all my backups because they were taking up too much space. I figured I'd just run one backup afterwards. I had a brain fart and deleted the TWRP folder which included my active ROM.

When I went to create a clean ROM slot to re-install everything, it said I had something like 1.9 GB free, which isn't even enough for a 2 GB slot. Shouldn't I have 8 GB of storage space stock?

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Pull the SD card and look at what is still on that card, you should see every remnant of data the wipe did not clear, and if you see any files remaining, make sure they are full files and not what I call 'discards' that the wipe did not delete.
You can chance a reformat and try to regain what you lost, or format a larger capacity SD card, then perform a recovery of any ROMs you know you still have. What backup program do you use, aside from TWRP?
Titanium backup is great, and the paid version is super slick, as it also allows you to encrypt your backup files so you do NOT wipe them accidentally, which is what I did after I too, wiped my SD card clean.
I have TWRP as my recovery program on my Nexus 7, but use Titanium Backup exclusively on all our phones for this very reason.....Being out and with a moment's neglect, tap the wrong key and wipe out everything.

I hope you are able to recover any 'lost' data, and restore your missing ROMs as well.
Can you move an active ROM from a spare phone?

kenji91

Reaction score
Pull the SD card and look at what is still on that card, you should see every remnant of data the wipe did not clear, and if you see any files remaining, make sure they are full files and not what I call 'discards' that the wipe did not delete.
You can chance a reformat and try to regain what you lost, or format a larger capacity SD card, then perform a recovery of any ROMs you know you still have. What backup program do you use, aside from TWRP?
Titanium backup is great, and the paid version is super slick, as it also allows you to encrypt your backup files so you do NOT wipe them accidentally, which is what I did after I too, wiped my SD card clean.
I have TWRP as my recovery program on my Nexus 7, but use Titanium Backup exclusively on all our phones for this very reason.....Being out and with a moment's neglect, tap the wrong key and wipe out everything.

I hope you are able to recover any 'lost' data, and restore your missing ROMs as well.
Can you move an active ROM from a spare phone?

Thanks for the advice!

I'm not so concerned with restoring anything anymore since my contacts are backed up and my pictures are on an external sd card. My concern is that even with no roms installed and no slots created, my phone only thinks I have 1.9 GB in storage space. This won't let me create a 2 or 3 GB slot, let alone multiple slots.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I wonder why your phone is only showing under 2 GB of memory, when the Droid 4 is slated to be 8 GB.
Something is not registering with either the phone's processor or the memory might be faulty, I have no idea what is the cause for this.
With 1024 MB RAM / 16384 MB ROM, this is not even part of the user-defined memory area, simply system RAM and ROM only, and neither of these areas can be used for routine applications or data storage.
ry a clean SD card and format it in the phone if possible, the end result should provide a clear indication of SD card failure, or the phone's inability to format high capacity SD cards.
Something has to 'give', but SD cards have been proven to be even 'slightly' defective from the package, so all bets are off here I suppose.

kenji91

Reaction score
Figured I'd give it a try and it worked. All I did was uninstall SS 3.11 and installed SS 3.65 and it was able to see the rest of the space on my internal storage.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Good job!
Glad it worked for you....Back to business as usual I guess..