Installing ROMs with ROM Manager - stuck!

knivesout

Reaction score
So I rooted my phone yesterday, didn't do much aside from that besides download the terminal emulator to rename some bloatware APKs. Thought I would try out the Liberty ROM, downloaded it, put the .zip in the root of the SD card, and tried using ROM Manager to install from SD. Selected "back up current rom" and "wipe cache", but the phone just re-boots regularly, I don't get the recovery menu. Thought it might be the .zip, so I tried downloading GummyJAR right from ROM Manager. DL'ed fine, but same thing with the re-booting, it just does a normal re-boot instead of going to recovery.

I made sure the ClockworkMod Recovery was installed, so I'm not sure what the problem is. ROM Manager also gives me error messages if I try to fix permissions (an error occurred while attempting to run privileged commands!) and if I try to flash older versions of ClockworkMod Recoveries I get an error message as well.
I'm stuck at this point because I don't know what is causing ROM Manager to be non-functional, and I don't know another program to flash ROMs with. ROM Manager has SuperUser permissions as well..
The only thing I can think that would be causing this problem is the removal of the bloatware programs (skype, VZnav, amazonmp3, etc.), so should I go back to the terminal emulator, rename the removed apps to restore them, and finally uninstall then reinstall ROM Manager? Or do I need to download the $2 bootstrap app? TY for any help!

mr_silent

Reaction score
Did you install Busy Box? If clockwork recovery isn't working you can try SPrecovery, or mount the phone to a pc aNd use adb shell. Hope this works for you, know how much of a pain it can be getting started with roms. Also when using SPrecovery, make sure to rename to update.zip and if renaming on pc make sure you don't use update.zip.zip. Good luck.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
Did not install Busy Box, is that what I need? As for sprecovery, I was trying to find it in the market but to no avail..

mr_silent

Reaction score
I'm not sure if its needed for clockwork, but a lot of apps that use root do. Eventually you'll probably need to install it(busybox) anyways so I'd try that first. Let me look into SPrecovery real quick.

louy99

Reaction score
I never used rom manager for that. I used bootstrapper to boot in recovery. its a must have program imo.

sent from my Liberated Droid2 yo!

mr_silent

Reaction score
Guess I should've already knew, but Rom Manager premium comes with both clockwork and sp recoveries. The SP can be found at the bottom of the menu under alternate recovery. Yes I'm pretty certain you need busybox, check the market it should be free. One more thing is try using the fix permissions option on the main menu of Rom Manager.

mr_silent

Reaction score
Sorry thought you on the OG Droid. If your on a Droid 2 you'll need the bootstrap app to unlock your phone.

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
I can't seem to find sprecovery, the only options it gives me in the "all clockworkmod recoveries" are: 2.5.0.8 (the current recovery), 2.5.1.4, 2.5.1.3, and 2.5.1.1. When I try to select anything but 2.5.0.8 it says "an error occurred while downloading your recovery". Trying to fix permissions, I get the message "an error occurred while trying to run privileged commands!".

So I need to DL bootstrap for droid 2 and busy box from the marketplace in order to flash roms?

louy99

Reaction score
I can't seem to find sprecovery, the only options it gives me in the "all clockworkmod recoveries" are: 2.5.0.8 (the current recovery), 2.5.1.4, 2.5.1.3, and 2.5.1.1. When I try to select anything but 2.5.0.8 it says "an error occurred while downloading your recovery". Trying to fix permissions, I get the message "an error occurred while trying to run privileged commands!".

So I need to DL bootstrap for droid 2 and busy box from the marketplace in order to flash roms?

you definately need bootstrap for droid 2. i believe its 2 dollars in the market. as for busy box....i dont have it. i have a D2 like you and ive flashed several roms with only bootstrap. i only use rom manager for backing up roms and renaming them so i know what each backup is. that is pretty much the best thing to use it for. its not reliable for installing roms imo. just use bootstrapper. hit bootstrap recovery first. you will see super user permition and hit the ok box when i pops up. then hit reboot recovery. and your phone will boot in recovery so you can install roms. be sure to wipe all data and cache.

mr_silent

Reaction score
Disregard my posts, new font makes 2 and 1 look the same. Louy99 knows what (s)he is talking about.

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
Alright, I installed Busy Box, only difference in functionality is that I can run the "fix permissions" command in ROM Manager. Still re-boots normally when I try a backup or ROM flash. Looks like I'll have to listen to louy99 and shell out the $2 for bootstrap recovery.

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
TY mr_silent, it sounds like ROM Manager runs a lot easier on Droid 1!

OP
knivesout

knivesout

Reaction score
I think the bootstrap is key, I wish I would have known that I needed it to flash roms beforehand. Just flashed squidly, time to play around with some roms!

louy99

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for ya.

sent from my Liberated Droid2 yo!

trook

Reaction score
Rom manager doesn't really work on the droid 2, as you guys know. Don't use it, just use bootstrap, links for bootstrap are in the hacking/rom install class, you can get it for free, clockwork recovery is what bootstrap installs, the newest version of busybox can be installed by downloading titanium backup free and clicking problems, backup your contacts, make a nandroid and have fun. A little tip, when your phone is bootlooping, yank the battery, re-insert it while holing x on the physical keyboard, when you get to the ! with a triangle, press the magnifying glass on the physical keyboard, it will boot you into STOCK recovery, not clockwork, navigations are the same, volume, camera, ect. wipe cache/data.

Also, when the M logo begins to fade, pull the battery and immediately re-insert it and it will magically boot you into clockwork recovery....I have no idea why, but it does.