Installing an application NOT from the Market

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Ok, I'm friends with someone who works for a company who is working on some Android apps. He's gotten me access to help take a look at the software before they release it for beta consumption. He sent me a .apk file. How do I install this application if I have it on my computer?

Thanks.

coondogg97

Reaction score
Ok, I'm friends with someone who works for a company who is working on some Android apps. He's gotten me access to help take a look at the software before they release it for beta consumption. He sent me a .apk file. How do I install this application if I have it on my computer?

Thanks.

I use App Installer:

chart

Aaron636r

Reaction score
Mount your Droid to your computer and put the apk file they sent you onto your sd card. Use an app called Astro (free in market) to locate the apk file and install.

Maybe an easier way to do it, but that's how ive been doing it.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I believe you need to copy it to your SD card, and then browse to it and launch it on your phone using a file manager such as Astro. You do need go to setting/applications and have the box checked for unknown applications.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mount your Droid to your computer and put the apk file they sent you onto your sd card. Use an app called Astro (free in market) to locate the apk file and install.

Maybe an easier way to do it, but that's how ive been doing it.
Basically what I do. I use EStrongs so I can transfer from PC to Droid via wi-fi but it's the same idea :)

verakot

Reaction score

Thanks.

I use App Installer:

chart

Where is the link to App Installer?

coondogg97

Reaction score

Thanks.

I use App Installer:

chart

Where is the link to App Installer?

The link is below, but you are better off just scanning that barcode above with a barcode scanner on your Droid. That will take you directly to the page to download App Installer.

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr&chs=135x135&chl=market://search?q=pname:com.mmg.appin

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You don't need app installer. You're better of using a file manager. Either EStrongs File Explorer or Astro File Manager. The apk will install itself when you select it.

Dylanthecat made a very good point, make sure you go to settings > applications > and enable "unknown sources" to allow install of non-market applications.

currahee474

Reaction score
An easier way to install it is email it to yourself, access your email on your phone, then download it and install.

mjs31

Reaction score

Thanks.

I use App Installer:

chart

+1 on this. Drop the file on your card and open app installer. It will find the file for you automatically.