Insanely bad batter life, even with 3750mah battery

Kutark

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've finally gotten fed up with this phone. I bought it when it was newly out, waited for over a month etc. I knew from reviews it was a battery hog, but it was extremely bad. With the original battery i was lucky to watch 1x 45 min episode of a tv show on netflix before it was toast.

I almost immediately bought the HTC extended battery and that helped a lot, but it was still pretty bad (phone usually doesn't make it through an entire day, and i use it very little.) Usage might be in one day 2-4 phones call, less than 5 minutes each. I *might* watch a youtube video or two, 10-20 minutes total.

A lot of times when i go to bed or crash on the couch ill load up netflix to watch some episodes, but at most i get about 2.5 episodes of a 45 min show on the extended battery.

The reason i am posting is i never had a point of reference until my roommate bought the same phone. With the extended battery he can literally sit and watch 5-6 hours of netflix on it with no problems. His phone literally seems to last 3-4 times longer than mine and he uses it CONSTANTLY. Between the netflix stuff he probably texts for 2-4 hours a day on it.

Now i realize something is wrong with my phone. Thinking maybe i had bad luck with the battery i purchased an additional extended battery, and its still the same thing.

Today i went and checked the phone's battery usage and its telling me the screen is responsible for 81% of the battery usage. I've had the phone on for maybe an hour today.

The phone is not rooted. I have juice defender installed and running. I have GPS turned off, sync features turned off, ad customizer thing turned off. I've set the screen to about 40% brightness and turned off auto brightness. I have automatic connecting/searching for wifi turned off, and only turn on wifi when im at home using my home internet, or at work. So i know its not constantly searching. I also turned off mobile internet, i almost never turn it on unless im out and about and absolutely NEED to use the internet for some reason. I've uninstalled pretty much all apps that it would allow me to that i dont use.

I'm not sure at this point if the phone is just screwed and i need a new one. I was hoping maybe you guys could shed some light.

If it is the phone should i pursue a repair/replacement or just wait until that new one with the 5" screen and quad core, etc comes out and just get it?

I'm hesitant to buy a seperate phone because this is the second phove ive had a similar problem with. My first droid was an incredible, and (same roommate) bought the same phone about 6 months after and didnt have nearly the battery issues that i had with mine. Now, with the incredible the disparity wasnt nearly as bad. His was better, but maybe only 30-50% better, whereas with our Rezounds, his literally lasts 3x or more as long as mine.

wcjeep

Reaction score
Your Rezound has a 720p screen. Is your roommate watching in HD? If not, that's a lot less bandwidth.

OP
K

Kutark

Reaction score
Your Rezound has a 720p screen. Is your roommate watching in HD? If not, that's a lot less bandwidth.

I just asked him and he said yes, he watches things in HD when possible.

Bpowder33

Reaction score
I've had the extended battery since day one and have never been able to run it dry. Is your extended battery oem? Have you tried uninstalling juice defender to see if it's the problem?

acejavelin

Reaction score
My question would be what is actually using the battery up? Have you installed GSam Battery Monitor or a similar app to see what is sucking the battery dry? You might have a rogue app that is holding the wake lock or something and not letting the device sleep properly... A typical Rezound with good-excellent signal strength on 4G should be getting 2-2.5 hours of screen on time with a standard battery, and 3.5-5 hours of screen on time with an factory extended battery, if it is not, then there is an app chewing up the battery, very poor signal strength (can chew up the battery quickly), or a hardware issue, and GSam can be a huge help in finding which of these is the issue. With light use I easily get a full day out of the device with 30% battery life remaining at the end of the day, about 1.5 hours of screen time over 18 hours on a standard battery is typical.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kutark

Reaction score
My question would be what is actually using the battery up? Have you installed GSam Battery Monitor or a similar app to see what is sucking the battery dry? You might have a rogue app that is holding the wake lock or something and not letting the device sleep properly... A typical Rezound with good-excellent signal strength on 4G should be getting 2-2.5 hours of screen on time with a standard battery, and 3.5-5 hours of screen on time with an factory extended battery, if it is not, then there is an app chewing up the battery, very poor signal strength (can chew up the battery quickly), or a hardware issue, and GSam can be a huge help in finding which of these is the issue. With light use I easily get a full day out of the device with 30% battery life remaining at the end of the day, about 1.5 hours of screen time over 18 hours on a standard battery is typical.

To the poster prior to the quoted text, yes the extended battery is OEM, as is the replacement I purchased to verify. I have bot tried uninstalling juice def.

As far as the quoted text, I was not aware of that battery monitoring app. I will install it immediately and post results in a day or so.

Edit: thought I should mention I am at 4 bars right now, and at 5 when I'm at work.

Last edited:

acejavelin

Reaction score
To the poster prior to the quoted text, yes the extended battery is OEM, as is the replacement I purchased to verify. I have bot tried uninstalling juice def.

As far as the quoted text, I was not aware of that battery monitoring app. I will install it immediately and post results in a day or so.

Edit: thought I should mention I am at 4 bars right now, and at 5 when I'm at work.
Somehow I missed the "Juice Defender" part of your post... I used to use that with my Incredible 2 and it made a big difference in battery life, but when I got my Rezound I tried it and no matter how I set it the battery life was always horrible, maybe I was unlucky or maybe the Rezound and JD just don't get along, I dunno, but I would uninstall it for now.

I am curious as to what GSam's App Sucker will show is using the battery, let us know after a couple days.

OP
K

Kutark

Reaction score
Somehow I missed the "Juice Defender" part of your post... I used to use that with my Incredible 2 and it made a big difference in battery life, but when I got my Rezound I tried it and no matter how I set it the battery life was always horrible, maybe I was unlucky or maybe the Rezound and JD just don't get along, I dunno, but I would uninstall it for now.

I am curious as to what GSam's App Sucker will show is using the battery, let us know after a couple days.

Sorry for the extended delay guys.

Ok, so battery is at 38% right now, i had it at 100% before i went to sleep last night.

According to GSam:

34.3% screen, 1.7% radio, 2.2% Wifi active
61.8% App Usage:

Kernel 25%
Internet 17.7%
System (mediaserver) 7.8%
Android System 6.6%
View Video: 0.8%

rest is negligable.

OP
K

Kutark

Reaction score
Just wanted to addon, since i made that original post the battery is now down to 13%. I have sent 1 text message on the phone, otherwise its been sitting on my desk doing nothing.

I also wanted to mention, the phone tends to be unreasonably warm at all times and i watch videos it gets pretty hot. Not burn your hand hot, but borderline uncomfortable to hold hot.

I'm wondering if there might be some kind of voltage regulator thats not working properly and causing the battery to drain faster than it should, which since that energy isnt being used by the phone could just be dispersing as heat?

Caesars

Reaction score
When is the last time you have done a factory data reset?

Return of the Android

acejavelin

Reaction score
Just wanted to addon, since i made that original post the battery is now down to 13%. I have sent 1 text message on the phone, otherwise its been sitting on my desk doing nothing.

I also wanted to mention, the phone tends to be unreasonably warm at all times and i watch videos it gets pretty hot. Not burn your hand hot, but borderline uncomfortable to hold hot.

I'm wondering if there might be some kind of voltage regulator thats not working properly and causing the battery to drain faster than it should, which since that energy isnt being used by the phone could just be dispersing as heat?
Factory reset would be a good idea, but I would like to know what is holding the wake lock, something has to be for the battery to drain like that... In the App Sucker of GSam, tap the drop down at the top of the page and select "View Time Held Awake" and report back, also, what kind of percentages are the radio at (from the main screen tap Phone Radio)?

OP
K

Kutark

Reaction score
Factory reset would be a good idea, but I would like to know what is holding the wake lock, something has to be for the battery to drain like that... In the App Sucker of GSam, tap the drop down at the top of the page and select "View Time Held Awake" and report back, also, what kind of percentages are the radio at (from the main screen tap Phone Radio)?

Unfortunately the phone died recently so its not showing me any real data as far as the wake lock. What is weird is clicked into the screen and its saying:
Discharge while on/off: 3% / 18%

Which suggest to me that somehow the screen is using more battery when its off then on? If thats even possible?

Also. Since i installed the app, the average battery life has been 20h and some change. So i think cleary that indicates an issue.

I have never done a factory reset, can someone guide me through that process?

Edit: Forgot to mention another fun little tidbit of information. Earlier today when i was at work i noticed the phone at 21% battery, so in order to make sure i had some level of charge on it, i turned the phone off, and then plugged it via the usb mini cable into my computer to charge it a little bit. After more than 3 hours connected to the PC i turned it back on and the battery was at 19%. Riddle me that.