Initially Charging New Droid X Question

viper3773

Reaction score
Hello, I have been doing a lot of research about this phone and I want to get the best battery life I could possibly get..

In the past I haven't really let my new phone fully charge before turning it on.. I don't think it messed with the battery that much?

But for this phone I think I might.. How would you guys recommend doing it? I've heard some people 'conditioning' the battery, letting it get close to dying before recharging it for 3 times... i've read that the lithium ion battery doesn't need to be conditioned..

Right out of the box, how should I deal with initially charging my DX? Thanks :) dancedroid

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't need to condition it but you might need to calibrate it. Charge it all the way, drain it all the way, charge it all the way. The initial charge may not be necessary but I do it anyway. Do this about once/month. You don't want to run your phone til dead too often though.

Do you know how to work around the droid x battery drain bug?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Preparing new lithium-ion for use

Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation

edit: from here
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm
[/FONT]

doug494

Reaction score
I'll bite.

What is the "Droid X battery drain bug"?

I should be getting my X today and have read about turning off gps, no live wallpaper, reduce brightness, turn off WiFi etc to conserve battery, but I have not heard of this.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'll bite.

I should be getting my X today and have read about turning off gps, no live wallpaper, reduce brightness, turn off WiFi etc to conserve battery, but I have not heard of this.

My GPS is always on...Screen on Auto....never use wifi....and my battery lasts 14hrs+ with ease.....No drain bug on my X

OP
viper3773

viper3773

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys!

would it not be recommended if right when i get my dx i plug it in turn it on and activate it? :p

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
thanks for the replies guys!

would it not be recommended if right when i get my dx i plug it in turn it on and activate it? :p

Yes, go for it. You DO NOT need to calibrate/cycle Li Ion batteries... Just plug it in and charge it.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll bite.

The whole saga is here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...6788-droid-x-battery-problems-discovered.html

But in a nutshell, until you get the 2.2 update do this:
Phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks > UNCHECK

If that doesn't seem to work for you:
-turn of GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.

Last edited:
OP
viper3773

viper3773

Reaction score
Well yeah its a no brainer to turn off your WiFi when not in use, I do that on my iPod touch.... but are you saying to NOT use WiFi at all? Or just remember to uncheck when not in use?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
WIFI uses less power than 3G. You actually want to leave the setting on all the time so your phone can use it. I'm not saying not to use WIFI. By the way, you can leave the GPS setting on all the time because apps use it as needed. As long as you keep an eye on apps that use it, you'll be OK. (When done with Maps go back to home screen, when done with Navigation use the Exit button from the menu, keep an eye on apps/widgets that use GPS)

The battery drain bug and the setting I'm talking about has nothing to do with WIFI.

OP
viper3773

viper3773

Reaction score
But if I'm say in a car riding somewhere with WiFi on won't it keep searching for a wifi network thus draining battery?

or does it not do that?

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
But if I'm say in a car riding somewhere with WiFi on won't it keep searching for a wifi network thus draining battery?

or does it not do that?

Yes, you are right. HOWEVER, the amount of power your phone uses just sitting around waiting to connect to WIFI is very small. If you want to save every little bit of power, go ahead and toggle WIFI on and off as needed. My point is just to say that it's kind of a pain to constantly worry about toggling the setting. It doesn't end up saving much power at all. AND, if you ever forget to turn on WIFI, you'll be connecting through 3G and using more power than if you'd just left WIFI on.

If you're annoyed by being notified every time you come across an open network, that setting can be turned off in WIFI settings.

In the end, try it out both ways and do what works for you.

The GPS setting can be left on too, by the way.

I want to repeat myself on one point, though. Turn off "use wireless networks" under "locations & security" if you have a Droid X running 2.1 and you can leave WIFI and GPS on...theoretically. You may need to turn off WIFI and GPS when done to avoid the battery drain bug. Also, reboot after charging perhaps? The update should fix all this.

Last edited:
OP
viper3773

viper3773

Reaction score
Alright thanks for the clarification. Yes it is annoying and you might as well leave the wifi on. that is what i will do.

what is the "use wireless networks" under "location and security" setting for?

That doesn't toggle wifi on and off does it. ahh.