Incredible or Next Motorolla Phone?

CalebSandfort

Reaction score
Hi

I have Verizon and am up for a phone upgrade at the end of June. I was planning on getting an Incredible. But I just read that the Motorola shadow or extreme will be coming out in July. Would it make sense to wait a while and get the new Motorola phone, or just get the Incredible?

Thanks

itzkr0me

Reaction score
THis is obviously a personal decision. The new phones look cool. No doubt MOT makes a really really great phone. I personally jumped on the incredible when it came out. It works for me, for now. I'm a gadget freak so I'll probably try to procure a new one when it comes out too.

It wouldn't hurt to hold off for a month, just to see if your needs match what is being offered. If it's a droid with better keyboard and bumped processor, might not be much more to it than hype though.

jaw4bama

Reaction score
What I would do is wait till the specs are released for the new Moto phones and compare to my needs. The Incredible is a GREAT phone and if your not the type where you HAVE to have the latest and greatest you may want to look in to the Incredible cause the specs are really standard on a top notch android phone at this time.

Taegost

Reaction score
My sister was going to get the Incredible and trade phones with me... Until I ran the Quadrant benchmark and saw the results on the Shadow, and right above that, the Nexus One running 2.2...
The Shadow with 2.2 is going to be like the new Nissan GT-R showing up to a Gremlin convention... :)

Darkseider

Reaction score
Another suggestion is to wait to see if either are rooted or look to be rooted easily. The reason I say this is simply to ensure that you as a consumer have the ability to update your device even though the manufacturer/carrier chooses not to. Samsung has pretty much answered the question "Should I root?" with their latest FUBAR involving the Behold II.

itzkr0me

Reaction score
My sister was going to get the Incredible and trade phones with me... Until I ran the Quadrant benchmark and saw the results on the Shadow, and right above that, the Nexus One running 2.2...
The Shadow with 2.2 is going to be like the new Nissan GT-R showing up to a Gremlin convention... :)

The INC has been touted to perform better than the Nexus one in many regards, so once 2.2 gets pushed to it, it will still be a top 2-3 contender for best android device within the next 6 months.

Taegost

Reaction score

The INC has been touted to perform better than the Nexus one in many regards, so once 2.2 gets pushed to it, it will still be a top 2-3 contender for best android device within the next 6 months.

Absolutely :) But the benchmarking shows, in order from lowest to highest: Droid, Incredible, Nexus One w/2.1 (slightly higher), my phone, Motorola Shadow (almost twice my phone, which is about 1/4 more then the Inc/N1) and then the N1 with 2.2, which is about 1/3 longer (I don't have any screen shots of it, but there's a thread either in General Discussion or Hacking about benchmarking with Quadrant that shows exactly what I mean).
The N1 on 2.2 looks to be at least 3-4 times faster, so I can only imagine what the Shadow will do on it as well :)

Edit: Looks like I may have been wrong, the first picture in the thread shows that Shadow at 2.2, and I found a discussion that it's a "slight" upgrade over the Droid. When I ran Quadrant, my picture matched all the posts except for the OP, which didn't show the version. Here's the thread I was talking about: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/47840-droid-performance-test.html

Last edited:
OP
C

CalebSandfort

Reaction score
Rooted?

Dumb question, but what does rooted mean? Does that mean it just has the Android OS system on it and not Verizon Android wrapper OS?

Also will the Incredible eventually be updated to Android 2.2?

Darkseider

Reaction score

Absolutely :) But the benchmarking shows, in order from lowest to highest: Droid, Incredible, Nexus One w/2.1 (slightly higher), my phone, Motorola Shadow (almost twice my phone, which is about 1/4 more then the Inc/N1) and then the N1 with 2.2, which is about 1/3 longer (I don't have any screen shots of it, but there's a thread either in General Discussion or Hacking about benchmarking with Quadrant that shows exactly what I mean).
The N1 on 2.2 looks to be at least 3-4 times faster, so I can only imagine what the Shadow will do on it as well :)

Edit: Looks like I may have been wrong, the first picture in the thread shows that Shadow at 2.2, and I found a discussion that it's a "slight" upgrade over the Droid. When I ran Quadrant, my picture matched all the posts except for the OP, which didn't show the version. Here's the thread I was talking about: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/47840-droid-performance-test.html

Hate to burst your bubble but in another thread regarding the Quadrant benchmark I posted a mathematical breakdown of the results. Even though the OS is not specified on the Shadow, based on the numbers it is running Android 2.2

The OMAP 3630 in the Shadow is functionally identical to the OMAP 3430 in the Droid except for embedded HD encode/decode, HDMI out and the ability to support a 12MP camera. The GPU is identical as is the core. Granted it is made using a 45nm process which will reduce heat and power consumption but an equally clocked OMAP 3430, in this case 720 Mhz, would perform identical to the OMAP 3630 found in the Motorola Shadow.

Taegost

Reaction score

Hate to burst your bubble but in another thread regarding the Quadrant benchmark I posted a mathematical breakdown of the results. Even though the OS is not specified on the Shadow, based on the numbers it is running Android 2.2

The OMAP 3630 in the Shadow is functionally identical to the OMAP 3430 in the Droid except for embedded HD encode/decode, HDMI out and the ability to support a 12MP camera. The GPU is identical as is the core. Granted it is made using a 45nm process which will reduce heat and power consumption but an equally clocked OMAP 3430, in this case 720 Mhz, would perform identical to the OMAP 3630 found in the Motorola Shadow.

Yeah, that's why I edited it, but I left my original post in there to show that I was wrong :)
It was actually your post that pointed it out to me. That, and looking at Quadrent after the last update (Which was after I showed it to my sister on Saturday) it now says the Shadow is on 2.2...
So, you *did* burst my bubble, but did it before you realized you did :)
This just means I'll be getting an Incredible sooner then I thought I'd be getting the Shadow!

Darkseider

Reaction score

Yeah, that's why I edited it, but I left my original post in there to show that I was wrong :)
It was actually your post that pointed it out to me. That, and looking at Quadrent after the last update (Which was after I showed it to my sister on Saturday) it now says the Shadow is on 2.2...
This just means I'll be getting an Incredible sooner then I thought I'd be getting the Shadow!

Sorry to burst your bubble but math never lies.

Darkseider

Reaction score

Sorry to burst your bubble but math never lies.

Well ain't this interesting. I just ran Quadrant AGAIN and now it is showing "Shadow < 2.2" implying that it is 2.1. I would love to know exactly what is going on with that benchmark and how it is being tagged. First it is unknown, then it is 2.2 and now it is 2.1. At this point I am still going to stand by my original numbers and say it is 2.2 until otherwise dismissed. Unfortunately looks like we will have to wait for the release of a Shadow to find out for sure.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was just getting ready to post the new Quadrant info. lol I had a Market update for Quadrant today. If those numbers are really for 2.1.....and it going up that much from OMAP 3430 to 3630...and that much more over the Inc....HTC shoulda put the QSD 8650A in the Inc. and the EVO 4G. (so far, it looks like the 8650A is gonna be used first in a Win 7 phone...)

Darkseider

Reaction score
I was just getting ready to post the new Quadrant info. lol I had a Market update for Quadrant today. If those numbers are really for 2.1.....and it going up that much from OMAP 3430 to 3630...and that much more over the Inc....HTC shoulda put the QSD 8650A in the Inc. and the EVO 4G. (so far, it looks like the 8650A is gonna be used first in a Win 7 phone...)

Found another VERY tasty tidbit on the interwebs that may explain this whole thing away.

TI die-shrinks OMAP3 - News - Linux for Devices

This article states and backs up what I have been saying about the 36xx being nothing more than a die shrink of the 34xx. Although the article DOES mention that T.I. also states that the 36xx has 75% better graphics performance that the 34xx. Which leads me to my next question and possible reason for this benchmark being so whacky.

IF the Quadrant benchmark weighs the graphics performance as a HIGH percentage of its' overall score would it explain the difference in benchmark results? Now all we need to do to put this baby to bed is run a linpack on the bugger because it merely tests floating point operations. That would put this whole issue to rest.