Incorrect SD Card Storage Reported

mkhannah

Reaction score
I have another unique issue.

Short version: Phone reports incorrect amount of space on SD card. Android says ~4Gigs space left. I claim that only 1,323.88 Megs are used.

Long version: Over the last several days, I've been playing around with MultiMap. At first, I thought that perhaps I had downloaded a lot more mapping data than I thought. But NO way would the map cache be in the 10's of gigs. I was correct. Using Astro, I get about 700 megs of map files in the appropriate directory.

MultiMap's cached files are image files. So I wasn't surprised to see "android.process.media" causing the phone to run at 100% cpu. Frustrating, but not surprising as I assume this program runs in the background creating thumbnails (have not found a way to clear the thumbnails yet, but have not looked that hard at this point.

FYIs:

• The apps System, Android's Settings, Quick System Info and Astro show the 4+ gigs of space left.
  • Under Astro/Tools/SD Card Usage, it shows Capacity @ 15.19G, Used @ 10.67G and Free @ 4.51G. But once this feature finishes "reading directories" the math only adds up to around 1300megs.
  • Moving up to / and selecting Directory Details of /sdcard gives me:
    • Name: sdcard
    • Size: 1,389,640,341 bytes
    • Permissions: drw
    • Modified: 2010-04-29...etc.
    • # of Files: 319846
    • Device free size: 4.51 G
    • Device total size: 15.19 G
Am I being stupid?

Thanks!

OP
M

mkhannah

Reaction score
Update

Program was with MultiMaps. Once I used the app to clear the cached maps, the space left on the SD Card is now being reported correctly.

Will pass along to app's developer.

OP
M

mkhannah

Reaction score
Problem not MultiMap's Cache??!?!?

Problem doesn't appear to be MultiMap's cache after all... Phones back to using 100% cpu. Specifically "android.process.media." I have no audio or video files besides what comes with the OS. I have only about 12 photos on the phone.

Since the was rebooted at 22:20 today, it has taken 1hr 32m 18s of cpu time. Average consumption is 237.6% (not completely certain what that means). These numbers are from "SystemPanel." Can't end the task.

Something else that is new... Errors have given me two options in the past. #1 to force close and #2 to wait. Now the "wait" is being replaced by "report." It doesn't matter if it is an process or an app. And as I type this, I've received the following: The application Gallery (process com.cooliris.media) has stopped unexpectedly. Selecting "report" this time responded just like "force close." And "android.process.media" is still running cpu at 100%

Questions for me? Any ideas? Besides wiping the phone and starting from scratch?

Thanks!

OP
M

mkhannah

Reaction score
Update

Decided to go ahead and factory reset the phone. I've only re-installed a few apps that help me see running processes. Still at 100% using SeePU and SystemPanel. And it is still the same process "android.process.media."

Does this help?