Incorrect picture orientation in mms message

AKValle26

Reaction score
Here's what happens
I take a picture holding the phone in portrait mode
I open said picture in the gallery, and it is correctly oriented (I'm guessing it takes data from tilt-sensor and determines which way the camera was held)
I select picture and try to send as mms
In both handcent and stock messaging, the picture is rotated to the left

What I would like to know
Is there a fix for this/is there a way to rotate the picture in the mms dialog?
->I know you can go in, rotate right, and send. But I don't want to have all these incorrectly-rotated pictures in my gallery or worry about rotating them back (this whole thing is a dumb bug and shouldn't be an issue in the first place)

Before anyone says 'search the forums,' I did and only found this:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-pictures-rotating-sideways-mms-facebook.html
Which only says it's known and to search the forums (I searched both via search button and through google)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's what happens
I take a picture holding the phone in portrait mode
I open said picture in the gallery, and it is correctly oriented (I'm guessing it takes data from tilt-sensor and determines which way the camera was held)
I select picture and try to send as mms
In both handcent and stock messaging, the picture is rotated to the left

What I would like to know
Is there a fix for this/is there a way to rotate the picture in the mms dialog?
->I know you can go in, rotate right, and send. But I don't want to have all these incorrectly-rotated pictures in my gallery or worry about rotating them back (this whole thing is a dumb bug and shouldn't be an issue in the first place)

I agree it's a dumb bug. And I'm not making excuses but I've seen it in my Blackberry Storm and on certain web sites too.

Question is, does it do this to every picture or just one picture? When I've seen it not every picture was affected.

OP
AKValle26

AKValle26

Reaction score
I agree it's a dumb bug. And I'm not making excuses but I've seen it in my Blackberry Storm and on certain web sites too.

Question is, does it do this to every picture or just one picture? When I've seen it not every picture was affected.

I did a test, and it's not every picture; rather it's only the pictures taken while the phone is held upright || vs ==

Dandroid247

Reaction score
My storm and droid both rotate pics when sending if the pic was taken in the portrait orientation. I just started taking all my pics in landscape now and haven't had the problem since. I feel like I'm being brainwashed into believing that my phone is a camera when taking pics because of the way I have to hold it lol. Anyway that's the only thing I've found that solves the issue for me but if somebody else runs across a different one I would be happy to hear it as well. :motdroidvert:

naalex

Reaction score
I realize this is an old threat, so I'm posting an explanation of the problem in case someone else is looking for it, because this has been bugging me as well.

The problem is that MMS messages strip out the EXIF data that specifies the orientation of the image. So when you send an MMS message, or upload it to facebook, the application doesn't know the correct orientation for the image.

bradleonard

Reaction score
I am also interested in a solution. It did not get fixed with 2.1 or 2.2. Who do we need to complain to get this problem fixed?

My phone more often saves picture taken in portrait (phone vertical) with the incorrect orientation that it does in landscape, but it definitely does it in Landscape also.

I beleive you are into something regarding EXIF data, but I have not seen any other info about fixing the EXIF data.