In a bad way, need help

OP
B

boostedf4

Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

Just to be clear (cause I'm nervous after messing up once lol) I go into the boot loader, run rsdlite, load the .sbf file, run it and I will be on 2.0.1 correct? Then I can root it and update it back to the most recent froyo correct?

OP
B

boostedf4

Reaction score
and might i ask what you needed bash for? if you really need it i can help you out with that

It was curiosity more than anything, I'm used to running bash on my linux box, but after this, I really couldn't care less about it honestly lol. I'll root for what I need it for (over clocking and wireless tether) and leave it be.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Were you running stock root or a custom rom before? if you just want stock root, you'll have to re-root it all over again when you update to 2.2. If you want a custom ROM, then what Jeff is saying is probably the fastest way.

edit: forgot about your nandroid, i'll shut up now

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
yeah, after you flash it you'll be back to 2.0.1 then you can reroot & flash a recovery then go back to your nandroid.

& you probably wont notice much of a difference between sh (Bourne shell) and bash (Bourne-again shell)
besides scripting simplicity.

OP
B

boostedf4

Reaction score
okay cool. that puts my mind at ease some. Thanks again sooo much for your help. I'm doing proper backups just in case (contacts sms, etc).

Yeah, I'm used to the simplicity of bash, but, like I said, I'll pass instead of dealing with this haha.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
if you want a close to stock rom with bash built in and an option to make it the default shell then try out lithium mod, it's a custom rom.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
or cyanogenmod 7 it has bash built in but its not the default, all you have to do is add echo $SHELL /system/xbin/bash to the initial command in terminal emulator

OP
B

boostedf4

Reaction score
I stay away from custom roms personally. I'm very good at breaking linux systems because I like to take a look around and see what all I can mess with. Unfortunately, a cell phone is not the place I should be poking around in. Thanks for the tip on the custom rom though lol. I'm just going to get back to where I was and leave the phone. Maybe even put the stock kernel back on there even.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
poking around is an awesome way to learn... you also learn from your mistakes, i encourage your curiosity and i will tell you to continue with it. its a great way to lean, now you know how to sbf back to stock. =]

(just don't hold me responsible for your actions)

OP
B

boostedf4

Reaction score
Haha, oh yes definitely, I always have two installs of linux on my desktop, that way I can poke around in one and if I mess up, just go to the other one. But I live by my phone, really, it was very difficult to get me to root it to start with.

So I have my nandroid backup loaded, and it's working great now. Thanks again SO much for your help. I kept the SBF file that way if I have to do this again I have it lol.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
hah, i used to have problems with ruining ubuntu on my computer. i would have to reinstall and then rebuild my entire xorg-config.. which i had to do manually because it never worked by default, those days were a pain... now i am knowledgeable enough to not let that happen again, probably because ive made every mistake possible... anyway no problem, i am glad i could help.

OP
B

boostedf4

Reaction score
Ha, that sounds like me when I first started using Ubuntu. Having to build the Xorg.conf in order to use aglx so you could run compiz for the really fancy graphics. Then there would be an update to my nVidia drivers, so everything would break. Reinstall, play around with the xorg for a couple hours and maybe have it running again. I started with 5.04 and man was it a mess to get anything running. I sure did learn a lot with it though lol.

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
for some reason it would auto config on 8.04 and lower but on 8.10 and up so far i have to configure it my self... i also have a nvidia chipset.