Imusic application ate up my battery

garyll

Reaction score
Downloaded IMusic and grabbed a few songs last night, looked like a pretty awesome ap. But....suddenly this morning I'm having trouble with dropped calls and bad reception--my phone showed 3 bars but then when the call went through it dropped to 1 or 0. Also noticed my battery was draining rapidly, way quicker than it had been.
Did a battery pull, Taskkiller, etc. and nothing changed so I decided to uninstall Imusic. Suddenly the problem went away, calls were better and the battery was back to normal. I guess the moral of the story is...be careful what you download.

Sleeve

Reaction score
Could just be an overloaded tower near you that bounces calls to neighboring towers. I'd give the app another try if you liked it that much, might just be an odd coincidence. Rarely have I ever installed an app that made my phone mess up unless it was specifically something that worked with phone calls. Who knows for sure, but worth a shot.

Droider

Reaction score
I don't see how the app could have changed your 3G signal reception. It is likely a coincidence, at least for that part of your problem. More likely there was a problem with the local tower (or some sort of interference) and your phone was sporadically losing signal and therefore pumping up the power on its own transmitter to compensate thereby draining your battery more quickly.

Also, I don't know if it is the Droid or Verizon but a couple times I have had my signal strength bar indicator go down to 1 or even totally lose 3G signal in an area where I know it should be strong. I will wait minutes and it will fail to regain signal but if I power off and then back on, it will come back strong with 3 or 4 bars. Maybe yours was doing something similar.

Also read through the comments on the Market for the app. If it is a runaway battery drainer, you will likely see some comments about it.

OP
G

garyll

Reaction score
The only problem with the suggestions about the tower signal strength is that 2 people in the same room with Verizon service did not have the same problem. It was definitely something going on with my phone, not the towers. In any case, it's all better now. :)

Droider

Reaction score
As I mentioned my phone sometimes has those signal problems and a reboot magically clears it up.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So far... no problems with iMusic for me... hasn't affected battery life negatively or performance.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just checked my system battery usage... iMusic, which I haven't used all day was using 2% of the batt! Small but still!

So I went into Applications > Manage Applications ... scrolled to iMusic... had some files in the cache... cleared that out and no more battery consumption. Might be that simple.. Try clearing out the cache after you use it. I'm gonna keep an eye on this.