Import Contacts with Photo

RMDavis613

Reaction score
Hi -

I need to import a list of contacts and associated photos. We're a small college and we need for our campus safety folks to have access to a list of students / faculty / staff with the appropriate photo - about 2000 contacts total.

At first glance it seems like Contacts is the logical place to place this information - I just don't know the field order for the Droid Contacts file nor do I know how to link to photos to the appropriate contact.

I'm open to just about any suggestion. We had been using Handbase, but as yet they have no Droid app available. Is there a solid Droid database program available?

I'm open to alternative suggestions as well!

TIA

Ross Davis

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
:welcome: to the Droid Forum. What type of data base are these files currently on? If you can create .CSV files and transfer that to a Gmail account that would work. Remember, this is a Google phone so contacts are all stored in gmail. That includes pictures too.

This is how it works for transferring contacts from Outlook so I'm guessing that if you can create that kind of file it would work. In any case your goal would be to get them into a gmail account, then when you got the phone sync the phone to that gmail account. All contacts would be transferred over. I don't know of any way possible to associate the name of the person with the picture. That would have to be done some other way.

Last edited:
OP
R

RMDavis613

Reaction score
Wow! That was fast!

A couple of follow-up questions...

1) We use Zimbra as our mail server - an Exchange Server clone - Are you saying the contacts on our Zimbra accounts are synced up to Google then down to the Droid? Would you please point me to a FAQ on this?

2) I would be able to export our contact info in a csv file from our UNIX system. But I would need the file order and a way to link the accompanying jpg files. Each .jpg file has a name name which matches the id number in the csv file.... Clear as mud?

Really appreciate the help here.

Ross