Immediate Assistance Needed!

gpguy25

Reaction score
First off I think I may have bricked my phone. That being said this is exactly what I did to get to this point.

(1) The stupid OTA update kept showing up so I felt now is the time to update it. When I made this decision I was rooted with Z4root.
(2) I backup'd my apps and did a factory reset by going to settings>>privacy>>factory reset.
(3) I download the OTA update and tried to install but it failed.
(4) Read the forums and someone suggested that the OTA update will not install if you have a file called 'hijacker' or 'logwrapperl' well I didn't have hijacker but I had logwrapper.
(5) I re-rooted the phone with Z4
(6) Installed Root Explorer
(7) Deleted Logwrapper
(8) Removed Root
(9) Rebooted
(10) Downloaded the OTA again
(11) Selected install the OTA update
(12) attempted to reboot and I am currently stuck at the Droid Intro Screen and it is 'bricked' i.e., it won't load passed the "DROOOOOIIDDDD!!!" (which is extremely annoying when you hear it over and over)
(13) Pulled the batter tried again (did this 7 times)
(14) Pulled the battery and re-booted holding power button R & M
(15) Went to factory reset it AGAIN!
(16) Received the error "e: cannot open /cache/recovery/command" & e: cannot open /cache/recovery/caller
(17) Wouldn't let me factory reset
(18) Wouldn't boot up again just ran through the DROIIIIIDDDDDD Animation over and over again
(19) Gave up came here and decided it better to await the responses from those more acquainted with the droid pro before I through the phone on the curb and smashed it.

Any help? Tips? Ideas? I'll try anything!

Thanks!!!

Matte242

Reaction score
Sbf your phone back to froyo or gb. I dont have the link atm, but if you google it you will find the info. All you need is a pc and about 20 minutes.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
G

gpguy25

Reaction score
I don't have a PC only a Mac. Do you have instructions on how to do this?

Matte242

Reaction score
What type of phone you have?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Since you said that the update kept showing up, I'm guessing it was the last Froyo update that stabilized a lot of things about the phone. Installing that update while rooted was your problem. A lot of users had problems with their phones after doing that and had to flash the SBF to correct things. It's a good idea to always unroot before installing an OTA update. If you're installing a pre-rooted update, such as Gingerbread from Team Black Hat, that's another story. But if it's an OTA update from Verizon, unroot first to prevent any potential problems. The updates will almost always break root anyway, so there's no need to run the risk.

The good news for you is that when a SBF file is available, it's virtually impossible to truly brick a phone due to a software mishap. The SBF file is essentially the original image of what was installed on the phone. Motorola and/or Verizon would use something similar to get a phone back to working order that seems to be bricked or to have major problems.

All of the links to files and instructions that you need to flash the SBF are in the sticky at the top of this forum:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid-pro/112314-official-droid-pro-sbf-tbh.html

This SBF will not put you on the latest build of Froyo for the Pro, so you'll get a notification about an OTA update again after you do this. Do not root until after you've got the latest Froyo build. They're currently not pushing out the Gingerbread update to everyone, so you should only get up to the latest Froyo (unless Gingerbread is released to everyone in the near future).

While I can't say for sure, I'm guessing that you'll probably have to get to a PC to do this though.

...and kjjb0204 swoops in for the Mac rescue!

Matte242

Reaction score
Agree with the above....good luck!

whoiswct

Reaction score
The OTA update seems only for pure stock rom without rooted. BTW, I also will try to update if I receive the update request.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums

OP
G

gpguy25

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I switched back to my Droid 1 running bugless beast, and despite the noticable difference in the speed and memory capacity, I like the droid better than the droid pro. Looks like I will be using the above advice and selling the phone once it's fixed. Thanks