I'm somewhat new, and I hate this phone.. HELP PLEASE? :-)

christinerm561

Reaction score
I've had the HTC Droid Eris for about 2 months now, and basically despise it....
I downloaded an update about 1 month ago (i think).... how can i tell what update that was? I see people post things about different ones, and i have no clue which i downloaded.

Before the update, my gmail was working fine and was telling me when i had new messages, etc. Now i have to manually go in & select refresh in order to see if i have new messages. Then, if i delete or try to send a new one, it doesn't work...

What is so awesome about this phone that everyone loves? I need tips here :)

Also, when i go into messages and try to select a contact from there, it only comes up as stupid Facebook contacts, although I'm not even signed in on facebook.

When I get a call, it always shows up as an unnamed person, but when i answer it, it switches to who the person is in my contacts.

What the heck is going on here? PLEASE if someone can help with ANY of the above issues, i am indebted to them, and greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!

mrnachocheese

Reaction score
Go to settings and look for a tab that says "about phone" and scroll until you find out what version you have should say either 1.5 or 2.1. If it says the latter go to check for system updates and upgrade to 2.1. I'm not 100% on the inner workings of the Eris since my wife has one and I have a Motorola Droid, but ill do my best to help.

mrnachocheese

Reaction score
As for having to refresh your Gmail. On a blank screen on your phone, you can add a widget that will allow you to set if your phone efreah itself to auto collect new mail. Add widget, click power control and the icon that is second from the right, next to the brightness setting, that's your refresh button. It also can control wireless internet, GPS, Bluetooth as well.

Edit: I'm doing this by memory of my wifes phone she left for work so I don't have it on hand, lol.

EDIT EDIT: Hold your thumb down on the blank screen to get the "Add" window to put the power control widget on your home screen.

Last edited:
OP
C

christinerm561

Reaction score
So I put the widget on my home screen, but I still don't understand how to make it gmail refresh itself or sync itself to check for new mail every so often, and once again alert me and coordinate with my gmail account. Should things on this phone really be this difficult?! AH!

mrnachocheese

Reaction score
To sync and/or auto sync with gmail, etc. Click your menu button, then scroll to settings then select "accounts & Sync, then you should be able to bring everything together. Ill admit my wife had some problems with her phone, everything seems outta whack with this phone but she fiddled with it enough and I'm sure you will to, to your liking.

Grettski

Reaction score
I've had the HTC Droid Eris for about 2 months now, and basically despise it....
I downloaded an update about 1 month ago (i think).... how can i tell what update that was? I see people post things about different ones, and i have no clue which i downloaded.

Before the update, my gmail was working fine and was telling me when i had new messages, etc. Now i have to manually go in & select refresh in order to see if i have new messages. Then, if i delete or try to send a new one, it doesn't work...

What is so awesome about this phone that everyone loves? I need tips here :)

Also, when i go into messages and try to select a contact from there, it only comes up as stupid Facebook contacts, although I'm not even signed in on facebook.

When I get a call, it always shows up as an unnamed person, but when i answer it, it switches to who the person is in my contacts.

What the heck is going on here? PLEASE if someone can help with ANY of the above issues, i am indebted to them, and greatly appreciate it!! Thanks!

Have you done a factory data reset since you got the OTA update? My wife and I had a ton of problems over the last month after I put the update on the phones. Someone on here suggested a reset and after I did it we have completely different phones. No lag, no dropped or silent calls. Email and msgs have no problems at all. I was ready to throw both phones in the trash and now Im good for a while. Love the phone!

Droids

Reaction score
With this many problems after the update, I think the only solution is doing a factory reset.

OP
C

christinerm561

Reaction score
MrNachoCheese thansk for all your help. I did the sync thing you discussed, and still nothing. Is there an area where you can set how often the mail is updated?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
MrNachoCheese thansk for all your help. I did the sync thing you discussed, and still nothing. Is there an area where you can set how often the mail is updated?

Not sure what is going on. I just sent myself an email from my work PC and had it within a couple of minutes on my phone.

OP
C

christinerm561

Reaction score

Not sure what is going on. I just sent myself an email from my work PC and had it within a couple of minutes on my phone.

I sent myself an email from my work PC, and after an hour, still never got a notification of new mail on my phone.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score

I sent myself an email from my work PC, and after an hour, still never got a notification of new mail on my phone.

It is Verizon store time.

Reaction score
Go to your Gmail on your phone. You need to be viewing the Gmail Accounts page, so if you are viewing your inbox, hit menu button, then Accounts. From the Accounts page hit Menu, Account Settings. On the next page ensure that Auto-sync and Background data are checked. If they aren't, that explains your problem. Check them and problem should be solved.