I'm elligable for a phone upgrade

DroidJ

Reaction score
My 2 choices are the Droid X and the Droid 2, I have the Droid. Will somebody tell me the pros and cons of both please? thanks in advance

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just hold out to early next year. You will want to shoot yourself for upgrading with the phones coming out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Edward650

Reaction score
I suggest you wait for Verizons 4g phones but if you can't wait id go with the dx if you don't mind a virtual keyboard

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
DroidJ

DroidJ

Reaction score
Just hold out to early next year. You will want to shoot yourself for upgrading with the phones coming out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

haha thanks, will do

xman14

Reaction score
Well the droid x has a bigger screen and no keyboard, and i would assume for you a bigger wow! factor, As for the droid 2 its more of the same as your original droid only faster and better responsive. I enjoy my og's keyboard although most people say that the droid 2's keyboard is an improvement. Are you rooted? But i would really just wait a few months... 4G!

Jefe73

Reaction score
I would do the droid probably or stick with the droid 2. The call is nice but a bit large.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

esheesle

Reaction score
Downside of the 4g phones will be the plans you have to buy to use them from what I've been reading. Quite a bit more expensive if the few articles I've read are right. Anyone know more about this yet?

Reaction score
Considering they haven't released Handset 4G pricing yet, I would say that if you live in a 4G area I would wait to see what the pricing ends up being.

Considering the 4G pricing that was released is for, data-only devices and is actually cheaper than current 3G pricing for the exact same device ($59.99 for 5gb of 3G vs $50 for 5gb of 4G) I think there is a good chance that 4G handset pricing will be a minimal increase over current plans ($10 premium would be my guess).

However, if you don't live in a 4G area, or near one in an area that is likely to be an early expansion area, I would just wait til the dual core phones come out and grab whichever one you fancy. If you are on a $49.99 or higher base plan (so the talk and text $59.99 plan or higher), you will have an upgrade in 12 months when 4G will likely be much more widespread.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Considering they haven't released Handset 4G pricing yet, I would say that if you live in a 4G area I would wait to see what the pricing ends up being.

Considering the 4G pricing that was released is for, data-only devices and is actually cheaper than current 3G pricing for the exact same device ($59.99 for 5gb of 3G vs $50 for 5gb of 4G) I think there is a good chance that 4G handset pricing will be a minimal increase over current plans ($10 premium would be my guess).

However, if you don't live in a 4G area, or near one in an area that is likely to be an early expansion area, I would just wait til the dual core phones come out and grab whichever one you fancy. If you are on a $49.99 or higher base plan (so the talk and text $59.99 plan or higher), you will have an upgrade in 12 months when 4G will likely be much more widespread.

I just got my D2 on September 1st, so I won't be eligible for the "early upgrade" until September 2011. I plan to wait and see what kind of handsets they come out with, read the reviews on them, and see what the plans are going for before I even think about 4G. (and I'm in one of the 4G cities)

I'm quite happy with my D2. I don't want to jump into an "upgrade" to something that turns out to be a pain and end up paying more for 4G on a phone that's not all that great. I'd rather "wait and see" :)

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Wait till 4G hits, like you said you were after Tank suggested it. :) Early 4G phones will be 3G capable, later ones might not be, so you'll still have the option of unlimited 3G at $30 a month if 4G isn't available in your area yet. And that's not even getting into the whole dual-core business, which is due out SOON.

lmdodds

Reaction score
is there a map that shows what areas are getting 4G first??

thanks

R

RETG

I was told by someone who owns a bunch of cell towers that some of the companies rent, that the logical way for LTE to expand would be:
1. Spread out from the cities shown to expand those areas (a person works in a large city with LTE, wants the same service out in the suburbs. Example Atlanta has a population of around 600K, but the entire Atlanta metro area is around 5.5 million. People will be more likely to purchase LTE if they have it at work and at home.)

2. Add some more larger city areas (some large cities are missing from the original list), and do the same type of expansion for those new cities.

3. Cover the interstates and major highways throughout the country (people once subjected to LTE want it when they travel too)

4. Hit the smaller areas (such as where I live). Costs to upgrade the system are no recouped as fast as in dense population areas.

Due to number 4, I just ordered a Droid X on a one-year contract. That way, in early 2012, I should know when LTE will be hitting this area and go from there with either a LTE phone or stay with the X.

Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty logical way to me, which means I'll have 4G somewhere between Step 2 and Step 3.