I'm bummed that I don't use a bunch of widgets

M

Matth3w

After watching that TAT video I started thinking about "ok what widgets could I get". Sadly most of the widgets out there I find look super nice but I never use.

For example, the pure messenger widget. It looks great, I just don't find it really that great to use...I don't listen to Pandora on my phone often enough to use the widget...the power strip I like but only if it's on my home screen and I don't need it much anymore with my current setup.

The only widgets I use on a regular basis are the Genie news/weather and a 4x1 pure calendar. I have FlightTrackPro widget but that's on a different screen and only gets used when I am flying obviously.

I love the phone to death I think I have just hit a proverbial brick wall at modding my phone. I installed four different ROMs today and I'm back to 0.7.5 Bugless Beast because it was still the best. :icon_ banana:

Anyone else wish there were more useful widgets (to you, obviously some people are going to love the Pandora widget etc)? Or am I just spoiled after watching that TAT video?

ShowTime

Reaction score
I wish I had more Widgets, mostly just because they are one of the more talked about, unique aspects of our phones.... but there aren't any I've come across that I either like enough or think I'd use enough to make the trade off in battery life and such worth it. I'm just to finicky/ocd to put anything on my phone that isn't exactly what I want/need.

OP
M

Matth3w

add the mobile buzz widget and select Android, great widget for keeping up on Android news
I'll try it but I also have Android as a custom news topic on my genie widget.

Before I had the FeedR widgets, but honestly I didn't look at them a lot and the topics I was interested in didn't get updated often. For example, I had this forum subscribed and it would say like 45 new feeds a day, when you know darn well there is a ton more than that. And I had AndroidTapp but they review like one app a week it seems.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Mini-Info widget
Beautiful Widgets
Handcent Widget (shows you how many messages live)
CalWidget
s2 Calender Widget
Where Widget
WeatherBug Widget
Financial Widgets for Stocks
News/Weather Widget
MotoTorch Widget

OP
M

Matth3w

Mini-Info widget
Beautiful Widgets
Handcent Widget (shows you how many messages live)
CalWidget
s2 Calender Widget
Where Widget
WeatherBug Widget
Financial Widgets for Stocks
News/Weather Widget
MotoTorch Widget
Yeah, this just proves that even after this big list that either I am really picky or just not interested in the widgets currently available.

- I don't need beautiful widgets or news or weather widgets because I use the genie news/weather widget

- Where is mostly useless unfortunately because of where I live. I had this app before.

- Handcent widget is a no-go because I have a theme of icons and you can't re-skin that using Bettercut

- I only have a few stocks and most of them are tied up in retirement funds, so I don't need to see realtime updates for them for the next 30 years.

I don't want to seem ungrateful though, thanks for taking the time to list those.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I had more than three screens I'd add..

2 Widgets for pics of my kids.
Pandora Widget
Music Widget

And a bunch more I don't remember at the moment. I can fill 5 screens pretty easily.

Ghostwheel

Reaction score
I've tried maybe half a dozen widgets, but Battery Left is the only one I've kept. Is it just me, or do a lot of them seem to take up too much space on the desktop? Does everything really need a 2x1 (or larger) icon?

OP
M

Matth3w

For me it's more of a matter of not practical. Like the pure messenger widget looks nice, but I have a pop up and Handcent anyhow. And with the GMail the internal viewer on pure messenger can't seem to open links or view attachments, and if you click the message it just takes you to GMail anyhow...so why not just use the actual program?

Pandora I never use so that widget may be decent.

I use the hell out of the 4x1 pure calendar widget to keep me informed on Penguins' game times and the news and weather widget...but outside of that they are never really all that functional or practical for me.

cplus

Reaction score
Yep..

You're just spoiled after the TAT video. Meeee too! Oh yeah, I use power widget, Weather widget, music widget, Audiomanager widget and that's about it.

OP
M

Matth3w

You're just spoiled after the TAT video. Meeee too! Oh yeah, I use power widget, Weather widget, music widget, Audiomanager widget and that's about it.
I showed my wife the video last night and she was even impressed and she couldn't usually give a **** less.

The first time I watched it I was like "bah I'll try it but it looks like it won't be practical" but the more I watch the video the more I am beginning to like it (if it works and doesn't kill the battery in five minutes).

I absolutely love that alarm clock widget.

broosewee

Reaction score
Weatherbug small widget is very good. It displays your location, temp and current conditions all in a 1x1 widget. It's much more practical, IMO, than the genie widget which takes up a whole row. Well, except the News, but I didn't find that feature to be very compelling.

The Power widget is very useful to quickly adjust settings on the device which may save a ton of battery life.

There's a Date widget that is 1x1 which opens up into your Calendar, I find this useful.

Generally, I agree with OP. Unfortunately, there's not many widgets that I would consider requirements. At least we have a good number of options.

OP
M

Matth3w

The news is great for me on the Genie widget. I set refresh to 30 minutes, delete all standard topics except for top stories, and then add my own custom topics in.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The news is great for me on the Genie widget. I set refresh to 30 minutes, delete all standard topics except for top stories, and then add my own custom topics in.
Same here, works great.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have all kinds of widgets that hardly ever use lol I just have them cause they look nice and decorate my screens and take up room