I'm a total Droid MORON! Help me figure this thing out!

MissyAmerica

Reaction score
I got the Motorola Droid the day it came out and, since then I have basically used it as a phone! I would first like to figure out how to put a theme onto it. It seems like I need to purchase some sort of program like aHome but all of them say they don't work well with the Droid.. Any advice?
I am also having trouble finding a Twitter app that I like, What are the best ones? If there is one that will simultaniously post to your Twitter & Facebook, that would be PERFECT! I would also like to know how to put a custom ring onto my notifications. Is it possible to make a different notification sound for seperate apps?

Thanks so much for putting up with me, I horrid when it comes to technology!

tktouch12

Reaction score
you can get a buggy home replacement, or you could root and install busybox and metamorph (but that will be too dificult for an inexpierinenced user) so get a home replacement and try them out
you can make a folder in your sdcard called notifications, and put sounds in there and they will show up as notification sounds

Logan3824

Reaction score
If you think you can understand rooting your droid, you can get some cool themes like smoked glass, but honestly when I first tried doing it, it literally took me days to figure it out, and I locked my phone up twice, luckily I had SPrecovery. If I were you, I would just download a theme off the market, they are like 99 cents, and its worth it if you don't know what you're doing lol...Also look up Twitdroid (twitter), there are tons of different ones out there though.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got the Motorola Droid the day it came out and, since then I have basically used it as a phone! I would first like to figure out how to put a theme onto it. It seems like I need to purchase some sort of program like aHome but all of them say they don't work well with the Droid.. Any advice?
I am also having trouble finding a Twitter app that I like, What are the best ones? If there is one that will simultaniously post to your Twitter & Facebook, that would be PERFECT! I would also like to know how to put a custom ring onto my notifications. Is it possible to make a different notification sound for seperate apps?

Thanks so much for putting up with me, I horrid when it comes to technology!

In the first place, ignore the advice to "root" your phone. I suspect it isn't necessary to tell you that. The last thing a person who is "horrid when it comes to technology" needs is to gain control of the innards of the operating system.

In the second place, your impression that various home replacements "don't work well with the Droid" is, I think, erroneous. I've used several and while there are intermittent problems with each, none is very serious. I currently run GDE and Home++ is another good alternative. Can't speak personally about the others, but themes are readily available for most. First choose a home replacement you like, use it for a few days and then decide if you would like to change the theme.

As far as social networking software is concerned, there isn't a "best" app. What's "best" for your style of interacting with others won't suit someone else. Look in the market and select one. Use it for a few days (or for a day if you purchase it) and uninstall it if you don't like it. You have 24 hours after purchasing an app to uninstall it and you won't be charged.

Just did a quick search in the market for "Facebook Twitter" and turned up several apps that "integrate" various social networking sites. Since I'm ancient and uninvolved with "social networking" I couldn't tell you which to choose but there are several alternatives.

As an aside, I'd also suggest that you not be too concerned with negative comments about apps unless they're virtually unanimous. Comments like "doesn't work" or "waste of time" I've found are highly dependent on the device and/or highly subjective. Different people are looking for different features and what is completely worthless to someone else might be exactly what you're looking for.

I'm reading between the lines here, but your post sounds as if you're hesitant to try apps for fear of breaking your phone in some serious way. In fact, however, unless you "root" your phone, there's little chance of doing that and uninstalling software you don't want is simple and quick.