If you could only have/recommend 5 APPS ?

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
What would they be? Doesn't matter if they are free or you pay, just they are dependable and useful?

smilepak

Reaction score
1) WHERE
2) TipCalc
3) Barcode Scanner
4) PDANet
5) WeatherBug

msheldon

Reaction score
Keeper - Password database
ES File Explorer - File manager and samba client
TasKiller - Kills tasks
Google Listen - Podcast client
ConnectBot - SSH Terminal Client

DaHarder

Reaction score
My Current Favorite 05 Are:

01 Advanced Task Manager

02 MixZing

03 PicSay Pro

04 DocumentsToGo pro

05 Where

kev83202

Reaction score
I have 38 installed right now.....no way I could only have 5 favs, lol

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
Useful apps that the average person would enjoy:
1. Handcent SMS
This should be installed on every DROID phone that is going to send/receive any kind of messages! This app solves a lot of problems that the basic messaging features on the phone lack. You can add contacts to a composed message using groups of contacts, or by selecting individually from a contact list. Allows you to pull the attachments out of all your messages on one easy screen, as well as individually per message. Makes it easy to grab those pictures or audio files or ringtones people send you. Supports so many other features that I won't list them here.

2. ShopSavvy
Way better than "Barcode Scanner"

3. Shazam
Identify playing music by holding the phone near the music. (Artist/Album/Song names)

4. Pandora
Online streaming music radio based on the type of music you prefer. As you listen and rate songs good/bad, the station plays songs more accurate to your taste. Excellent replacement for standard radio. Hook up a FM transmitter and your good to go in the car too (remember DROID uses standard headphone jack, which is awesome for compatiblity).

5. Power Management Widget
I think this actually comes pre-installed because I don't see it in the main slide out window. Go to add a widget and it says "power" something. Lets you change screen brightness, blutooth, wifi, gps on and off. Good for quickly adjusting the screen brightness to save power. I usually turn the brightness all the way down indoors, then back up when im outside.

I have other small things on here but these are 5 good apps that could offer a better experience for the average DROID user. I have only had my droid for 2 days now, so im sure there are plenty of other great apps out there.

Oh, and all the apps I mentioned are free in the market. As of right now, I consider Handcent SMS to have been the most useful of the apps I installed. The stock messaging interface/features are really horrible. This app makes the phone what it should have been like to begin with, and more.

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Handcent is a MUST have app......

Great SMS support and it willl auto split your messages after 160 characters and send them simultaneously.

Too much to list with this app it is FULLY customizable. There must be at least 40 settings to customize to your liking............. amazing app.

tc8315

Reaction score
Pintail - you can text locate and a pin number from another phone and it will give a location of your phone.

tv.com - i can watch full episodes of csi and if I was soap kinda girl full episodes of those and a bunch of other tv shows and it streams very good.

photoshop.com mobile

So far thats all I have had time to really mess with. Have had it for 8 days now, but slowly adjusting to it.

mjs31

Reaction score
Handcent
Weatherbug
GDE - now updated for 2.0 and better than Open home IMHO. Well...for my needs.
Where
Astrid

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
Thanks for the replies, I have found many new apps that are very helpful and useful! :)

ehc1850

Reaction score
Just got my droid! Hell yeah! So far so good but since there are soooooo many cool apps I need some assistance with more than a top 5 - 10. Would of you droid pros be so kind as to maybe list your top 20 apps? You know what they say, go to the pros when ya need to learn! Thanks all!

griffinhot

Reaction score
Thanks to SwordOfWar for providing good info of the features of his
favorites as a "newbie" like me doesn't know what an ap can do
just by its name. I also agree that "pros" can be so helpful in
testing these aps for their usefulness, reliability, and compatibility
with Droid.

rod

Reaction score
i havent graduated to paying for apps, so all these are free, and work perfectly might i add:

weatherbug
sportstap - one of the better free sports apps ive found
aldiko - ebook reader, very nice
gdocs
panda - new to it, but loving it so far

pope66682

Reaction score
Apps Organizer
GDE
Sportstap
Nesoid - Nintendo emulator (u can get every original NES game) Awesome!
Weather Widget -Donate (this is the one u re looking for)