Ideal Video Format?

missin44

Reaction score
I'll be getting my Droid this coming Monday. In the mean time I want to begin converting my DVD's so I can watch them on the Droid. What would be the ideal format and settings to convert to for play back on the Droid.

Thanks

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
video capture is at 720X480 resolution.
PLAYABLE FORMATS
AAC, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, WAV, WMA, eAAC+, OGG, AMR WB, AMR NB, AAC+, MIDI

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I was just planning on converting them to H.264, but what size would be ideal? I've never had a screen this big on a portable media player!

OP
M

missin44

Reaction score
Not being very savvy in these things of all the formats which would work best? I'm more interested in play back quality (picture/sound) vs. file size, if that makes a difference.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's what i'm not sure of.. you can do h.264, and that's why i posted the capture resolution, it might be best...

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's what i'm not sure of.. you can do h.264, and that's why i posted the capture resolution, it might be best...

Not sure which program you use for converting, but I use HandBrake. There are presets for popular players such as the iPod Touch/iPhone and iPod Classic. I'll have to mess around with it to create a custom preset for the Droid I guess. What programs do you guys use? I'm on a Mac by the way.

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
You guys are planning on filling up that measely 16gb card right away, aren't you? ;)

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You guys are planning on filling up that measely 16gb card right away, aren't you? ;)

I never filled my 8gb card up :blink:. I wonder how i'll fill up 16gb's

geonjay

Reaction score
I've used HandBrake to convert an existing 720x544 AVI with Dolby Surround to a 720x544 MP4 with stereo. The sound works, but the video is black. I tried again, changing the video t0 640x480 (the droid is 480 tall) and it's still black. I copied a few straight-off-of-torrent AVIs (700Mb) and they work perfectly. I tried a second video through HandBrake using NONE of the preset profiles, setting it up by hand, and it's the same - great sound, no video. The video plays fine with VLC on the mac.

Stigy

Reaction score
People are saying that Handbrake using the iPhone profile works perfectly.

Going to convert a move or two tonight for testing.

Stigy

Reaction score
How do you go about uploading videos to the droid?

Easiest way is to plug it into the computer and just drag & drop files onto the SD card. Make sure that you drop down the notification bar and select Mount after plugging your Droid in.

It will create a new drive on your computer for the SD card in your Droid.

geonjay

Reaction score
I think the problem may be that I'm slightly retarded. I believe I coded it 640x480 - which isn't right, it should have been 480x368. I ASSumed that the Droid would auto-zoom to fit (it did that with another video that was only 320x176) maybe it can zoom in but not out. I took your advice, Stigy, and just opened HandBrake, selected Apple - Iphone and Ipod touch and viola, it worked. I was hoping to tweak it enough to reduce the file size as much as possible. FYI - The video was Family Guy - Blue Harvest, it's a must.

J

JohnDroid

Once you guys get this optimized it would be great if you could do a new thread with a walk-through complete with screenshots, etc.