Icon/theme question

benhar

Reaction score
Just installed MIUI last night and so far love it. I like the default theme as-is, but want to customize the icons a little. I basically want to leave the phone, contacts, sms, and browser icons as they are, and delete all the other "MIUI themed" icons, forcing MIUI to put the colored squares behind all the default app icons. AND I want to do away with the colors of the squares, and just have them smoke or clear. How easy is this to do?

Sorry if this question has been answered before; since the default theme doesn't seem to have a folder in the themes folder I'm not sure what to do to delete the MIUI themed icons.

OP
B

benhar

Reaction score
That theme sorta does what I want, but not quite. Sorry for the noob question, but if I take a theme (like Crusta) and add/delete the icons I want to the zip file, will the theme still work, or is there more that needs to be done?

Edit: Actually, let me take this question a step further... if I take a theme, gut out what I don't want (like new notification buttons, charging gradients, etc), add back in pieces from other themes that I like (i.e. conversation title bar from one theme, message bubbles/clouds from another theme), and zip the whole thing back up, will the theme still work, as long as the file names and locations stay correct? I'm assuming MIUI fills in the missing files with the defaults...

Last edited:
OP
B

benhar

Reaction score
I tried making my own theme zip file with the icons and icon background that I want, but after applying the theme and rebooting I still get the stock MIUI icons and backgrounds. Is there something I'm missing?

tp4bama

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if you dont include something in your theme, miui will revert to its defaults.

OP
B

benhar

Reaction score
if you dont include something in your theme, miui will revert to its defaults.
I have some mms changes in the com.android.mms, which actually took.

In the "drawable-hdpi-finger" folder I have 7 app-specific icons, then the following files:

icon_background.png
icon_border.png
icon_mask.png
icon_shortcut.png
icon_shortcut_arrow.png

Are there any other files or folder I should have? I'm mostly concerned with getting the custom icon background to apply instead of the MIUI default.

OP
B

benhar

Reaction score
Actually, I just realized that my custom background IS applying, MIUI is just still overlaying the custom pattern and changing the colors. The pattern is an easy fix, but how do I prevent MIUI from changing the background colors?

OP
B

benhar

Reaction score
Been playing around with the icons, but MIUI is still changing the icon background colors. Anyone know how to disable this?