Icon in status bar. What is it?

cnmsales

Reaction score
What is the icon for that looks like a wheel with arrows pointing away on 3 sides and then beams coming out of it on the right? Im sure it has something to do with gps or something but when gps comes on you get the standar sat looking thing with beams, so what is this? It is always on and im sure its affecting my battery. I do have back groun data enabled however I also have any app set to use background data using its own settings for updating.

Any info would be appreciated.

hogowner

Reaction score
think it is your GPS setting..

go to settings.....location....and uncheck GPS standalone.....

PS....even if you do not have it on...you will still see the icon...but with out the )))

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Ok, but if I make this change will apps that use GPS still work? On my Droid 1 all my gps apps worked but i didnt have the gps symbol always on.

OP
cnmsales

cnmsales

Reaction score
Just as I feared. Navigation wont work with this disabled. Man, why does it need it enabled all the time to run, why cant is turn it on when it needs it.

bweegz

Reaction score
Was just playing w/ my GPS and the icon you just described! On my phone there is an app/icon to turn GPS off and if you go into the setting in google maps and turn everything but google location services (needed for weather widget) off then it seems to turn the gps off (the waves to the right of the icon dissapear) and if I turn the GPS app/icon on before i go into google maps all is good again!

Hope that helps and makes sense!