I Wonder... question

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Okay, so I have my droid 4 not ever rooted.... jelly bean has really gotten me so pissed at my phone that I don't want to even touch it anymore....but with no choice until my contract runs out.... I have started thinking...

Does any of these versions of jelly bean have the same problem as the one Motorola gave us? Are they all different? One better than the other? Is there just one rooted version? Someone help me...figure out if I want to root my phone or not... will they make me fall back in love with my droid4?

kwyrt

Reaction score
Okay, so I have my droid 4 not ever rooted.... jelly bean has really gotten me so pissed at my phone that I don't want to even touch it anymore....but with no choice until my contract runs out.... I have started thinking... Does any of these versions of jelly bean have the same problem as the one Motorola gave us? Are they all different? One better than the other? Is there just one rooted version? Someone help me...figure out if I want to root my phone or not... will they make me fall back in love with my droid4?
I would definitely suggest giving it a shot. I first started rooting and installing ROMs on my Droid 2. I had it for about a year and was getting bored with it. Installing ROMs did make me fall in love with my phone all over again. Some thoughts on rooting and installing ROMs: * Rooting will technically void your warranty. Although I have personally known people that have had gotten warranty replacements for the D4s with now issue even after rooting. * Rooting will allow you access to lots of cool apps that will allow you to do more with your phone such as Root Explorer, Titanium Backup, ROM Toolbox, etc. * After rooting you will need to install safestrap recovery in order to install custom ROMs. Safestrap allow you to create ROM slots and install ROMs without overwriting your stock system. Really neat solution IMO. * There are two types of ROMs for the D4. Stock based ROMs (Eclipse) and kexec based ROMs (Liquid, CM10.1, Avatar, etc.). Stock based ROMs generally run faster than stock and have fewer issues than kexes based ROMs. They are generally debloated but may still suffer some of the issues that the stock ROM has. Kexec based ROMs run off of a custom kernel based off the kexec exploit. These ROMs will be newer (Newer 4.2 android version vs 4.1 on stock), but also may have more bugs. The main bugs still being worked on with kexec ROMs is auto-rotation does not work (I just turn it off) and speakerphone does not work. Kexec ROMs generally offer many more features than stock or stock based ROMs (such as theming and other customization options). They are all based on Jelly Bean 4.2 but all have their own different look and feel and will offer different options and customizations. I would suggest reading through some of the ROM threads to get a better idea of what each one offers and what people are saying about them. Good luck!

OP
SnglGrma

SnglGrma

Reaction score
What don't you like about it?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

How about just about everything! I was a part of the soak test and since the first time installing this version of jelly bean no matter what I do I still am having problems with the keyboard, gps, internet, wi-fi, 4-g, battery life, phone call drops, blue tooth disconnections, not being able to print to my printer at home, etc.... yes I have done all the fixes...even the ones I suggested and worked for me AT THE TIME..... but the minute my phone slows down and I have to reboot it ...ALL THOSE PROBLEMS COME BACK...I am so tired of putting the fixes to the phone...tired of making changes just so it will work until I have to reboot the phone....sometimes 4 times a day....please don't tell me to not add anything to my phone and work it that way for awhile...I have done all that...

I am not the type to have games on my phone... everything I have on it I use weekly if not daily. I am not going to call verizon or motorola for a replacement phone because that does not fix the problem either.

So I was wondering....what about the roms that people make....what kind of issues are they having?

I have to wait until my contract ends next year....before I can get rid of this piece of trash...I am even thinking....do we even have a case for a lawsuit? Get them ordered to fix the phones! I am just so disgusted.

kwyrt

Reaction score
What about internet, gps, keyboard, wi-fi?

I am running Avatar and all those things work fine for me. Same with Liquid when I was running that. The only real issues I have encountered with the 4.2 custom ROMs out there are the auto-rotate and speakerphone bugs. Other than that, smooth, fast and everything works.

Sent from my Droid 4 - Avatar ROM

kenji91

Reaction score
You are the first person I've ever heard say this, especially when it comes to the stock JB update.

I'd recommend a factory reboot - and if that doesn't work, what do you have to lose by rooting it and trying custom ROMs?

OP
SnglGrma

SnglGrma

Reaction score
You are the first person I've ever heard say this, especially when it comes to the stock JB update.

I'd recommend a factory reboot - and if that doesn't work, what do you have to lose by rooting it and trying custom ROMs?

Are you serious? (No Disrespect Intended) The first person to complain about JB and ALL it's issues? Or that I am the first to say the fixes only work for me until I have to reboot my phone?

OP
SnglGrma

SnglGrma

Reaction score
I am running Avatar and all those things work fine for me. Same with Liquid when I was running that. The only real issues I have encountered with the 4.2 custom ROMs out there are the auto-rotate and speakerphone bugs. Other than that, smooth, fast and everything works.

Sent from my Droid 4 - Avatar ROM

Is Avatar a 4.2 version?

I think I can deal with a speakerphone and auto rotate bug...the issue with Wi-Fi / GPS / 4g is that they like to conflict when all are turned on 4g tries to start when Wi-Fi comes on, then when Wi-Fi comes on I don't have internet access on so it forces me to turn off Wi-Fi in order to search the internet or watch a TV show on my phone, ANYTIME I AM NOT AT HOME which will drive up my data...(even though I am ones that is grandfathered in with unlimited I still try not to use the data). Yes there is open access to Wi-Fi in the areas that I try to use Wi-Fi ...so its not that it is not accessible.

GPS won't turn off and constantly searches for my location unless I turn turn off at least one setting in the locations and then when I reboot my phone it turns on all 3 again!

So what I want...is when I install the OS (ROM) ....I do not want to have to tweak anything. I just want it to work.....CORRECTLY....like it used to.

kenji91

Reaction score
Are you serious? (No Disrespect Intended) The first person to complain about JB and ALL it's issues? Or that I am the first to say the fixes only work for me until I have to reboot my phone?

100% serious. I may have missed some - hopefully others will comment too.

I've heard of people with issues on custom ROMs, but that's expected. The Eclipse JB ROM is fully functional as far as I know. What specifically are your issues with each of those things?

OP
SnglGrma

SnglGrma

Reaction score
100% serious. I may have missed some - hopefully others will comment too.

I've heard of people with issues on custom ROMs, but that's expected. The Eclipse JB ROM is fully functional as far as I know. What specifically are your issues with each of those things?

Wow! Maybe you need to search these forums...(again no disrespect)

Keyboard issues....coming up out of the factory reset...the auto punctuation, with ? <>;: symbols.... no capitalization at the beginning of sentences. Shift key 1/2 way works / cap locks light don't work / have to hold the shift key to captilize any word instead of pressing once and letting go and typing. The fix for this is going into the keyboard settings and setting it (even though it is already) to defaults, you have reset it again!

Phone calls drop....( I have stopped making calls because I am so tired of them dropping on me) within 1 minute of a call..more noticeable when the phone is receiving email it will drop a call...so you have to turn off the push notifications or set it for the longest time in between so you don't have to worry about being dropped.

Battery drainage....how long have I been typing about this one topic today? Check for me please ....because I have to go plug my phone in for a charge....my battery just told me to connect my charger..... I was at 90% when I started this topic!

More later after I charge

Ughhhh!

kwyrt

Reaction score
Is Avatar a 4.2 version? I think I can deal with a speakerphone and auto rotate bug...the issue with Wi-Fi / GPS / 4g is that they like to conflict when all are turned on 4g tries to start when Wi-Fi comes on, then when Wi-Fi comes on I don't have internet access on so it forces me to turn off Wi-Fi in order to search the internet or watch a TV show on my phone, ANYTIME I AM NOT AT HOME which will drive up my data...(even though I am ones that is grandfathered in with unlimited I still try not to use the data). Yes there is open access to Wi-Fi in the areas that I try to use Wi-Fi ...so its not that it is not accessible. GPS won't turn off and constantly searches for my location unless I turn turn off at least one setting in the locations and then when I reboot my phone it turns on all 3 again! So what I want...is when I install the OS (ROM) ....I do not want to have to tweak anything. I just want it to work.....CORRECTLY....like it used to.
Interesting. I don't remember having those types of issues on stock JB. But I wasn't on it all that long either. Like Kenji91 said you may want to try a factory reset first. I know that has helped some people with issues after an OTA. It sucks having to re-setup your phone but it might be worth a shot. Avatar, and all the ROMS really with the exception of Eclipse, are 4.2 based. If you decide to go the ROM flashing route I would suggest starting with CM or Liquid. They would be a little more similar to stock in look and feel and should be relatively easy to get used to. Avatar is really nice, but it changes the look and feel significantly. If you are interested in Avatar you can find that ROM in the D4 dev section on XDA forums. Liquid and CM both have dev threads here on droidforums.

kenji91

Reaction score

Keyboard issues....coming up out of the factory reset...the auto punctuation, with ? <>;: symbols.... no capitalization at the beginning of sentences. Shift key 1/2 way works / cap locks light don't work / have to hold the shift key to captilize any word instead of pressing once and letting go and typing. The fix for this is going into the keyboard settings and setting it (even though it is already) to defaults, you have reset it again!

Phone calls drop....( I have stopped making calls because I am so tired of them dropping on me) within 1 minute of a call..more noticeable when the phone is receiving email it will drop a call...so you have to turn off the push notifications or set it for the longest time in between so you don't have to worry about being dropped.

Battery drainage....how long have I been typing about this one topic today? Check for me please ....because I have to go plug my phone in for a charge....my battery just told me to connect my charger..... I was at 90% when I started this topic!

Ughhhh!

Well, the battery issue has been a D4 problem since day one. It's been significantly better since I've used custom ROMs (Eclipse and Liquid), mostly due to the removal of VZW bloatware. You can also make lots of changes to make the battery last longer.

Everything else leads me to believe you got a bum phone. Capitalizing the first letter is a default of the stock ROM I believe, and can be set in Languages and Input. I've never dropped a call because of any notifications. I would definitely go to Verizon and get a warranty replacement.

I never felt the need to search the forums for these issues because I never came across them. I'm on them daily (well, this and XDA, but only for development) and have not seen anyone say anything bad about the JB OTA.

mattjenn

Reaction score

Ughhhh!

I maybe lucky but I haven't had any battery life issues gps I fixed when I turned on wifi, gps, and all location settings. Then I went into maps and navigation and got it to lock my position and it's been good ever since even after reboots. The keyboard on the other hand I tried all fixes doesn't stay fixed for long but I have purchased swift key that fixes all issues with keyboard and auto correct even works with physical keyboard which is an issue with lots of 3rd party keyboards but swift key works perfectly and worth every penny. Hopefully Motorola will push out a fix soon.

OP
SnglGrma

SnglGrma

Reaction score
Putting this away for the weekend....put my phone on the charger and got it up to 40% in 2 hours. Have too much to do this weekend to deal with this right now.

Thanks guys for the thoughts I do appreciate it.