i want no data but mms enabled. Help!

thejas

Reaction score
i have seen many suggestions to this issue and nothing seems to work. I have a droid with cyanogen v6.0 r3. I love the setup but i am on page plus and only have 20mb/data per month. Before someone says what's the point, i have plenty of access to wi-fi so there is no need to have data. My issue is, my data is currently off but my mms messages do not work since this is the case. I have tried something called droid wall and it does not work for me. I do not know why. I have also tried an apn widget though i don't recall the exact name. All i want is to have my data off all of the time and just have it send mms's on occasion. my standard messaging works great. I am wondering if i am doing anything wrong. Droidwall is pretty self-explanatory and as such i believe i have the settings set right. I have messaging chosen as allowed on 3g in droidwall and still nothing. I have read that this program is fully compatible with cyanogen. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what to do? Is there a pageplus forum on this site i missed? That may be a good idea if there isn't. Thanks to this website and to the amazing community for the ability to post and for the awesome help!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this will meet your need but active airplane mode. Then when you want to receive data and phone turn it off.

Mike

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score
Not sure if this will meet your need but active airplane mode. Then when you want to receive data and phone turn it off.

Mike

Thank you for the suggestion but constantly turning the airplane mode on and off is not convenient. I would like this process to be done automatically.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to turn off data and have mms messaging working. The only suggestion would be if you would take the picture and send it in an email to the receiving party.

shalevmo

Reaction score
there is a widget in the market called 'data toggle widget' or 'toggle data widget' i cant remember.
but in this widget you can enable/disable data.
and when you put the widget on the screen it asks you if you wont to leave MMS enabled, just do it, and that's it.

hope i help!

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score
there is a widget in the market called 'data toggle widget' or 'toggle data widget' i cant remember.
and when you put the widget on the screen it asks you if you wont to leave MMS enabled, just do it, and that's it.

hope i help!

did you or anyone you know use this method? if so, does it work? if not, how do you know it works?

SGTiger

Reaction score

hope i help!

did you or anyone you know use this method? if so, does it work? if not, how do you know it works?

Since it is free, why not give it a try yourself?

Toggle Data Widget v2.0 Application for Android | Tools

Epicardium

Reaction score
DroidWall actually works

i have seen many suggestions to this issue and nothing seems to work. I have a droid with cyanogen v6.0 r3. I love the setup but i am on page plus and only have 20mb/data per month. Before someone says what's the point, i have plenty of access to wi-fi so there is no need to have data. My issue is, my data is currently off but my mms messages do not work since this is the case. I have tried something called droid wall and it does not work for me. I do not know why. I have also tried an apn widget though i don't recall the exact name. All i want is to have my data off all of the time and just have it send mms's on occasion. my standard messaging works great. I am wondering if i am doing anything wrong. Droidwall is pretty self-explanatory and as such i believe i have the settings set right. I have messaging chosen as allowed on 3g in droidwall and still nothing. I have read that this program is fully compatible with cyanogen. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what to do? Is there a pageplus forum on this site i missed? That may be a good idea if there isn't. Thanks to this website and to the amazing community for the ability to post and for the awesome help!

I toyed around with this exact thing on my HTC Incredible. I also have PP service. You were barking up the right tree....just didn't quite get there. In DroidWall, I have found that MMS still works so long as I allow both 'Messaging' AND 'Gallery'. I guess it uses the gallery to pipe the picture out. I don't know, but it works for me. Let me know if it works for you also!!

BTW, I am also running Cyanogen :)

-Paul

OP
T

thejas

Reaction score

I toyed around with this exact thing on my HTC Incredible. I also have PP service. You were barking up the right tree....just didn't quite get there. In DroidWall, I have found that MMS still works so long as I allow both 'Messaging' AND 'Gallery'. I guess it uses the gallery to pipe the picture out. I don't know, but it works for me. Let me know if it works for you also!!

BTW, I am also running Cyanogen :)

-Paul

Thank you for your response paul! I have figured out that it was a problem with corrupted data from using different roms and possibly from using an apn toggle widget that other people had issues with. Once I restored my data to a previous time with clockwork, it worked beautifully. I do not, however, need to have the gallery on in droidwall. I just have handcent and messaging enabled (since handcent like most sms replacements is just an advanced overlay for the stock messaging center). Also, data MUST be enabled, which I really don't like as i wish it was only enabled when sending a message. I am also now running ultimate droid extreme 8.0.0 which is now my personal fav. I'm curious, if you turn off data for gallery can you still send and receive picture messages?

Epicardium

Reaction score
Nope. I have to have Gallery on the whitelist for it to work. I've just discovered also that DroidWall screws with some of my other applications...namely GroceryIQ. It just goes to a white screen and eventually FCs if I have data enabled on the phone but GroceryIQ is blacklisted. It must somehow see that data is enabled and then be waiting for something from the server (it syncs lists to the cloud), but of course DroidWall is preventing it from having access, so it hangs. Just my theory, but it works flawlessly when I have data disabled on my phone, or when I am connected to WiFi. So, for now, DroidWall is not a good solution for my needs. If I have to be enabling and disabling data for other things to work properly, I might as well be toggling data to send my MMS. Hope I can find some other work around. There MUST be something, seeing as how the Sense UI is able to handle MMS when data is off.