I paired my watch with my phone...now phone battery dies in a couple hours

nateccnn

Reaction score
New to the Wearables scene and just trying to figure things out. I searched the topics and found no mention of this problem which makes me think I did something wrong since no one else reports this.

I got the LG Watch Urbane this morning and immediately paired it to my Galaxy S6 edge. I have Bluetooth turned on but also use WiFi so that if I leave the phone in the office I still get cards to the watch.

I have been playing with the watch a little but for past two hours I've been in a staff meeting and did not use it. When I entered the staff meeting the phone had 78% battery and at the end of the meeting it had 23%.

I've installed the LG Wearables app...it that burring up the phone battery?

Nate

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
There may be something else going on but did you use BT prior to the watch? I ask because BT is power hungry by itself so you should expect a change in battery drain.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
First thing go to phone settings, battery and see what your largest user is on the phone. It could very well a stuck sync of some kind keeping the phone from sleeping. Do you have location service set to high accuracy? The standalone GPS will kill a battery fast if it's inside and can't get a lock.
Bluetooth 4.0 LE is not the battery vampire of Bluetooth of old. If the radio is on and only idle , like during the meeting, it should be pretty energy efficient. On my watch/phone all day tether Gsam shows it using 1% of the total battery drain.
To lose 55% of the battery in 2 hours is no where near normal for tethered watch/phone without something keeping the cpu on the phone active or the GPS radio being active seeking a lock.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
First thing go to phone settings, battery and see what your largest user is on the phone.
Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Caller Name ID 25%
AndroidOS 23%
Cell Standby 13%
Google Play Services 12%
TouchTunes 12%
Android System 11%

I killed the Caller Name ID and disabled the app. Seems like a waste since I've been using phones for 49 plus years without it.

TouchTunes has not been used since last Thursday...not sure why it was still running. But...since I have not touched it since over a week ago I doubt that is what drew battery so fast this morning. But I force closed it just now.

Thanks...not sure why I did not think of looking there first.

Nate

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Behind CID Name and Android OS it seemed kinda normal with you not using the phone (screen) actively. Perhaps killing the caller id app will drop Android os down a bit as well. Android System usually comes in higher than OS in my uses and screen shots I see posted here and there. Might be the app was keeping it from sleeping as well.
Hope that solves it for ya, glad you found the culprit.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After looking again Google Play Services was high also. Mine will do that from time to time and it usually happens right around the time they update (just prior or just post) the Play Store app. As soon as I notice it's a top 5 user I force close it (phone settings, application manager, all, scroll to it, tap force close, tap ok ignoring the might mess things up message) and it'll drop back out of sight by the end of the day even if I use anything Play related afterwards.
Edit: Just read in another thread Android Wear app has a new update to Play Services, bug fixes and new drivers. Maybe your AW app is the previous version that I read gave one user heavier battery drain.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I've installed the LG Wearables app...it that burring up the phone battery?

Nate

Congrats on the new watch! The Urbane is very sharp. And welcome to the smart watch community. Just curious about the app you mentioned. What app are you referring to as the LG Wearables?

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
Congrats on the new watch! The Urbane is very sharp. And welcome to the smart watch community. Just curious about the app you mentioned. What app are you referring to as the LG Wearables?
I mistyped that. It's the Android Wear App I was referring to. Not LG Wearables.

OP
N

nateccnn

Reaction score
After much research and more frustration with battery life I figured out that it only happens at work and I'm not the only one. Play Services uses Google DNS Servers and the port it is on is blocked in the WiFi setup at work. IT manager didn't even notice it was blocked. Hopefully he fixes that while I am at lunch today and things get better.

Android Wear Team has been aware of this issue since Oct 14 and still the problem persists. Seems like it only affects LG 2 and LG Urbane.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I mistyped that. It's the Android Wear App I was referring to. Not LG Wearables.
OK. Thanks. I was just wondering, that does make sense. A lot of us are waiting for the new watch OS update to add some of the new features that AW made available.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After much research and more frustration with battery life I figured out that it only happens at work and I'm not the only one. Play Services uses Google DNS Servers and the port it is on is blocked in the WiFi setup at work. IT manager didn't even notice it was blocked. Hopefully he fixes that while I am at lunch today and things get better.

Android Wear Team has been aware of this issue since Oct 14 and still the problem persists. Seems like it only affects LG 2 and LG Urbane.
Glad you found it. Hope it was fixed by the end of you're work day.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4